Chapter 7- New Lead

I wasn't even 100 yards out of the parking lot when Jax's silvery muscle car crept up behind me. I made a few more turns, heading to Mica's house on autopilot. By the time my phone started ringing, I was already pulled over and parked a good distance from the office building, well out of sight. Jax silently slinked into the expensive company car while I answered my phone, put it on speaker, then placed it in my lap and turned towards Jax. I was studying his face as Mica's masculine voice comfortably flowed into the air between us, so I noticed the tiny fluctuations in eye narrowing and jaw clenching. Jax couldn't help but reveal how irked he was with Mica. Mica continued though, oblivious to Jax's venomous, icy glare directed at his name illuminated on my phone.

"And after you drop off my suitcase, could you please pick me up another coffee? I'm running on empty and the meeting hasn't even started yet! And lord do these old men talk..." He laughed, completely at ease with me and conversing as if we had been best friends for years. I felt slightly guilty at how much pleasure Jax's obvious jealousy and anger towards Mica gave me, so I placed my hands on either side of Jax's face and pulled his eyes to me.

"Of course, Mica. Anything else?" I spoke, making sure to keep my tone slightly clipped and purely professional, as I always do when Mica gets a bit too flirty with me. His reputation as a complete player precedes him; I only have a little more time before he makes a move to seduce me. I won't be able to engage with him and still keep my cover- not to mention the very thought of his tainted lips on me sent revolted shivers down my spine as I looked deep into Jax's shocking pale green eyes. The slivers of glimmering silver coaxed me deeper into him, sending me spiraling and tumbling forward. Jax smirked slightly, the corners of his lips pulling up.

"Just you, honey. I've gotta go, the walruses are here. Hurry back." Mica urged, including slightly too much emotion in his hushed tone before he ended the call and sent the luxurious black leather interior of the company car into ringing silence. I put my phone back in the center console and moved to take my other hand off Jax's face, but two strong, warm hands caught it. The struggle raging behind Jax's eyes caught me off guard when I looked back up at him. He seemed incredibly nervous, upset, excited, and murderously angry all at once. His gorgeous face exuding such passion had my blood running cold and my breath locking in my chest. Between the sharp chiseled features, the intense focus in his bottomless shadowy eyes, and the fiercely protective set of his full, sexy mouth, Jax broke down the last of what I thought I felt for him and left me gaping at him in awe. In this early afternoon light, he looked like a deviously handsome angel capable of every naughty thing a girl could ever dream of. A dark angel I don't know how much longer I can pretend to care for as a friend.

Jax trailed his fingertips gently across my collarbone and then breezed them up the side of my neck. He took my face in both of his hands and leaned in so that his lips barely tickled the sensitive skin of my neck right by my ear. I could feel his warm breath caressing me as he murmured, "I hate him thinking he can have you. No one will hurt you."

My knees unconsciously pressed together, my stomach dancing and flopping uneasily. I managed to reply in a quasi-acceptable tone for a person not bothered in any way by his proximity, "Uhhuh."

Yes... I'm sure that sounded convincing. Not hot and bothered by your best friend? Suuuure. Don't. Chase. Him. Off.

My uneven, whispery voice seemed to have the opposite effect on him though. Jax's deep, gravelly voice became rougher and infinitely more tender as he almost breathed, "Be safe. I need you back."

My mouth dry, I could only nod to show him I understood. He pulled back slightly and I didn't dare turn my head to look in his eyes. His face was only inches from mine and I could feel the familiar intense buzzing starting up in between our bodies. What are we, Jax?