Chapter 8- Secrets Make No Friends

I smiled and waved at Vince again, rolling my eyes as I motioned at the phone and used my hand to jabber away like a quick running mouth. He relaxed a little, nodding and pretending to hold a gun up to his temples. His large coiled muscles strained in his arms to bring his massive hand to his face, the muscle packed on top of his shoulders swelling and pulling. I swallowed, trying to lure a little wetness back into my papery dry mouth as he turned and lumbered back to his post. I could see the tip of his taser, just resting at his hip bone.

Actually seeing a physical representation of the muscle that I'm playing against, my nerve wavered and confidence plummeted. Jesus... What's going to happen when they find out what I'm doing...?

No. When they realize it, it'll be too late. I've just got to keep my mind on tonight. Get in, get out.

"I need you to get on Nathaniel's computer and look up as much as you can on an address. Use that background research software he's got- you know the one he used when he was verifying that potential business partner from Columbia?" I pulled my eyes away from the window where I was searching for any sign of Mica. A quick glance at the clock unsettles my stomach. I've got to go.

"Of course, consider it done. He actually taught me how to do it when I visited him in September. See you when you get back. 5:30 right?" She checked. As if she could sense my fear over the phone, her voice got softer as she added, "And don't worry. Jax was on the phone updating me and Nat while you were driving Mica. He said Mr. Suave Blondie is smitten with you. Doesn't suspect a thing. Relax, you're going to be fine."

I nodded to myself, glancing up at the window of the office again. I can do this. I'm done being scared. I'm coming for you, Sebastian.

Bidding Zoe goodbye, I lowered my forehead to the steering wheel and tried to stop the stampede of nerves in my stomach. It felt too warm and stagnant in the car, so I let out my breath in a slow hiss and popped out of the car. A quick nod to Vince as he held the door open for me, a smile at Billy as I held up my keycard to the scanner, and then the elevator doors slid closed around me. I smoothed my hair, slicked on a little Chapstick, and held my eyes closed tightly for a long second. I wanted nothing more to press the pause button, slid to the floor and curl in on myself, then press ground floor and run out of the building, but I knew for a fact there were at least two cameras in the elevator. So when the metal doors smoothly slid open, I let my own eyes glide open. I kept them narrowed and determined, pulling a professional amount of sultry into them. Waiting for Mica to take the lead will just end up with me cringing away from the situation in his pants, my job going up in smoke, and any chance of getting Sebastian blowing away in the wind with it. I have to make the first move. I have to control this. I stepped off the elevator into the lobby of the company, greeted by the now familiar sight of a plain, pretty brunette woman typing away at her desk and a few uncomfortable looking waiting chairs.

Mary-Louise? Tina? Tasha? Marina...? Geez... What's her name? Monday through Thursday mornings is Kelly, I think. The other one is Sara, no Selena? I can never remember this brunette's name though... As I came up on her, she raised her head and tossed her shiny, pin straight brunette hair off her shoulders. "Good afternoon, Ms. Smith. Can I take your coat? Maybe I can get you a smoothie?" She asked, glancing at the coffee cup in my hand.

I felt guilt flop in my stomach as I saw the sympathy and understanding in her eyes. She knew it was Mica's coffee, and that Mica doesn't like any of the coffee here from the office. He also doesn't like when his coffee is bought with other people's coffee. He likes it to be the only drink on the receipt. Why? Who knows. What that meant is I make quite a few coffee runs for him every day... Why can't I remember your name? You're always so nice to me. Knowing I don't drink coffee, so ensuring that there was always something nourishing and yummy for me here. Knowing that I rarely get any time for lunch, so keeping an extra apple or orange for me sometimes. Inviting me out for drinks with the rest of the ladies from the office after work.