Chapter 10

“Marry me,” I said, staring at his face as he processed what I just said. Then his face began to morph into a giant question mark. I couldn’t contain my laughter and started to chuckle before I laughed outright. Soon, a look of relief covered his face, but I saw something in his eyes that said otherwise. Then, anger took over his features and it shut me up instantaneously.

“I’m being serious,” he stated.

“I know, you’re always so serious. I just wanted to lighten the mood a little,” I sighed.

“So will you agree to it?”

“Yes, but the only condition I have, is that I move in with you.”

“Kate, quit playing around.”

I’m not. I’m being one-hundred percent serious. My moving in with you will keep Connor and Lola at peace, and we need their concentration now more than ever. As much as I hate to say this, Chace and Shereya have to move in as well or nearby the Alpha House. I prefer nearby.”

“That’s actually not a bad idea,” he nodded as he talked. “Until the pup is born, Connor and I won’t be too happy having her too far. She’ll have to move in.” I knew he’d say that so I didn’t allow myself to show any ill feelings. I just buried them deep inside and kept a straight face.

“Then it’s set. When we get back, I will pack and-“

“Can you help her pack? I know the two of you dislike –“ he interrupted.

“— absolutely abhor—“ I cut in.

“—each other, but I need you to get along with her, at least until we know for sure.”

“Are you asking me to accept her every insult, snide remark, and dirty look until she pops?” I looked at him like he was crazy.

“I’m asking you to endure it. Please, just do this for me as a friend.” He widened his eyes and puffed his bottom lip out a little in his best attempt at a puppy dog look.

“You know something, we haven’t even been friends for three whole days, and you’re already asking me to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my entire life.” He straightened up his face and stood a little taller.

“I know, but it’s not just hard for you.” With that said, he walked away to get my motorcycle. I got into the car and pulled my jacket tighter around me as he loaded my baby into the back of his truck. I still haven’t fully recovered from collapsing, if you could even call it that. I’ve barely been able to get in touch with Lola since yesterday and I haven’t seen auras since Jared first burst into my hospital room. Everything has just been fazing in and out. A shiver crawled its way down my spine and I wrapped my arms closer to my body.

Bored, I blew my breath against the window and drew a plump heart. Inside of it I wrote:  I.M.E. Heavy leather plopped onto my lap and I looked at it, then at Jared as he closed his door. He kept to his task of starting up the truck. I pulled it over my arms and mumbled thanks as we pulled out of the hospital parking lot and head to the pack house. Once there, I headed straight into my room and packed half of my belongings to go back into my old house. I made sure to put my blue one- piece feature flattering bathing suit in since I haven’t gone swimming for fun in so long. The memory of being dropped into the pool not long after mating with Jared comes to mind and I shake my head and scoff at the memory. I still can’t believe he dropped me in the pool like that! I packed it away and zipped up two medium sized luggages and sat them by my bed.

I ventured out into the hall way to be the better person and help Jared’s whatever she is to him now. Her door was slightly ajar. Even though it was open, I still find it rude not to knock. I learned that the hard way when I walked in on my parents “wrestling.” A slimy shiver slinks all over my body, creating goose bumps in its wake. I rubbed my arms and to get rid of them when I noticed I still had his jacket on me.