Let's Play

(And this week, children, we learned that Ly is terrible at sticking to her own schedules. I'm sorry, I think I better just throw out the schedule completely and say I'll update once a week at some point. Anyway, I've thought of this idea a bit before but I didn't put it down as a headcanon for a while. I got a suggestion from Hanachana over on fanfiction.net that Urushihara could take up a new hobby but she didn't have anything specific in mind so I thought I could use this~ But that suggestion is also gonna feed into another headcanon that'll come up when this collection comes to an end, so there's something else to keep you guys interested ;) )

(Headcanon: Urushihara has a YouTube channel)

The apartment was mostly silent, aside from the occasional click of Urushihara's mouse or his fingers on the keyboard, or the sound of Maou turning a page of his manga. Maou looked up when he noticed the clicks stop to see Urushihara was now leaning forward on the desk, eyes fixed on the screen.

He craned his neck a little to try and see what he was looking at, which turned out to be a video of a man in headphones in front of his own computer. He was clearly speaking, but Urushihara was wearing his headphones as well so Maou had no clue who or what was so interesting. Looking closer, he noticed the smile on Urushihara's face as he watched. Every now and then, he even chuckled a little. He had to admit, it was good to see him enjoying himself, whatever it was.

Maou caught sight of the clock then; he had a shift soon. Standing and placing the manga back on the small bookshelf, he quickly got ready and looked down at Urushihara, who was now watching another video of the same man.

"You're not gonna go sneaking off again while I'm gone, are you?" he asked. Urushihara removed his headphones and looked up at him.

"Huh?"

Nah, I guess he's too distracted.

"Nothing, nevermind," Maou turned towards the door, "I'm off to work, see ya in a couple hours."

"Lates..." Urushihara raised a hand in a barely-there wave and went back to his laptop.

Once he was sure Maou was gone, Urushihara closed the video with a grin and turned his webcam onto himself, switching it on as he did. Opening up his newest game, he started recording.

He already had a decent number of subscribers, considering he hadn't been uploading videos for long, although of course Shizuka and Momoko were among them, and a few other friends. But even so, there were people out there who liked him. And it gave him an opportunity to actually talk about the games he played.

After a short while, he decided to try vlogging. He definitely had enough people watching him and a lot of them did seem interested in him more personally. Plus, this could be a good alternate way to communicate with his friends.

And apparently, humans found socially awkward, sarcastic internet-addicted geeks relatable, and therefore funny. It didn't take much longer for him to make a name for himself and even build up a small fanbase. What really got him some views, though, was the times he managed to get the camera on Maou and Ashiya.

"Mom's home," he said casually one day as Ashiya walked through the door, "Whatcha got?" He turned his head just enough to see Ashiya placing the bag down, still keeping one eye on the camera and screen at the same time.

"Nothing for you..."

"Abusive parenting." Urushihara gave an exaggerated sigh, quickly looking at the camera.

"I'm not you're parent."

"Close enough."

Ugh. Nothing interesting here.

He did get good responses from driving Ashiya up the walls sometimes, but evidently, this was one of those times when he just wasn't going to cooperate. He discreetly turned off the webcam while Ashiya's back was turned.

Meh. He might still be able to use that somewhere.