Something Different

( Ah, I'm almost late again, but here it is, the next ficlet before the week is over! Next up will be the Christmas special, then a week-long hiatus, ok guys? I might be looking for some more headcanons come January, unless I decide to start bringing this collection to a close. Don't worry, though, I have two ideas for other Urushihara-based fics, one maybe expanding on his friendship with Momoko and Shizuka and another given to me by MichaelisHearts (thank you again, btw~). Anyway, without further ado, onto today's chapter...)

(Also, volume 3 of the light novels is gonna be released in English this Tuesday! Anyone else excited?)

(Headcanon: Urushihara sometimes watches families passing by the apartment building and it makes him think about having a proper family himself. Suggested by MichaelisHearts (ironically enough ;p))

It was a warm and quiet afternoon in the summertime and Urushihara had been left alone in the apartment yet again. Right now, he was sitting lazily by the open window, leaning out with his arms hanging over the sill, simultaneously getting his fill of fresh air and sunlight for the day, and looking for potential sources of magic.

But today seemed to be going well for the humans who passed by. The weather was nice, there was no school and everyone was cheerful and excited. No fear or despair or sadness anywhere.

How disappointing.

Or, well, he meant to find it disappointing but his mind soon wandered. He was distracted by the groups of people who would walk down the street outside every few minutes. The families. Off to spend their free time together doing something fun.

Urushihara sighed and narrowed his eyes, focusing on a young boy, probably only slightly younger than Chiho, walking along with a woman who must have been his mother, and another, smaller boy. His brother, most likely. They all looked happy together. Close. Loving. Once they had disappeared out of sight, Urushihara straightened up and turned around, closing the window and leaning against it, sliding back down onto the floor.

That was what a happy family looked like.

That was something practically alien to him.

That was an experience he longed for.

His memories of his family back in Heaven weren't the best. Not at all, to be completely honest. He tipped his head back against the window and closed his eyes, silent and thinking. He hadn't really belonged there.

Finding a place he could belong had turned out alright in the end. It had taken some time, but he had finally found his Heaven.

But finding people he belonged with...

Wait.

Slowly, his eyes opened.

"Thanks, Mom."

"... You're welcome, son."

"Urushihara? What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Have you eaten today, Good Hanzo?"

Maybe he did have a family.

So much had changed in the time he had lived on Earth. He had changed. Maou and even Ashiya had changed. Even if it was only a little. They had all changed. And where they were once allies on a fierce battlefield, they were now a family.

He'd had his "real" family in Heaven.

But this was something different.