Chapter 10

I awoke to the sound of water running in the bathroom. She did this every morning; brushed her teeth, then washed her face by splashing two handfuls of water onto her face, dried off with a hand towel and then leaned over the bathroom counter so she could closely examine her face in the mirror, turning it left then right before peering away from it. It was from her morning routine that I learned that even Mollie King had insecurities.

She turned to head back my direction, catching me staring at her as she started. She immediately lowered her eyes as she continued to walk back towards the bed. I thought I heard a noise come from downstairs.

“I better get going,” she simply stated as she reached for her jeans off the floor.

As she began sliding one of her legs into her jeans, I heard a creak in the stairs and Wayne peered around the corner, stopping in his tracks at the site of Mollie with no bottoms on.

“What’s going on here?” Wayne asked with concern.

Mollie scurried to finish putting on her jeans.

“Mollie just slept over,” I responded, noticing Mollie racing around the room to gather her belongings.

“Frankie had a moment so I came over to be here for her,” Mollie stated as she slid on her shoes.

“And you didn’t think to call me?” Wayne directed at Frankie; his voice stern and upset.

Mollie halted in her tracks, unsure what to do. She looked back at me and gave me a look like she was saying “I can’t help you with this one.” I didn’t want to do this here with Wayne while Mollie was in the room.

“Mollie, can you excuse us?” Wayne murmmered.

“Yeah. Frank, I’ll just call you later.”

Both Wayne and I waited for her to exit the house before we made any moves. As soon as I heard the front door thud to a close, I made the first move.

“You had a game. I didn’t want to bother you.”

“Babe, you know you’re more important than a bloody scrimmage.” His voice was sincere and honest.

“I’m sorry,” I replied, matching his level of sincerity.

He scratched his head and walked to the closet to put his stuff away. He came out of the closet with a concerned look on his face.

“Is there something I should know?” He asked, stopping in the middle of the room and placing his hands on his hips.

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“So nothing is going on with you two?”

“No, Wayne,” I sassed, agitated with his questioning.

***

8 missed calls and 5 texts from Wayne.

“Where are you?”

“Babe, I’m worried about you.”

“Ness just told me you went to Mollie’s room. Call me in the morning.”

“Babe, where are you?”

“I have to leave soon.”

Sh*t.

“Molls, I gotta go,” I call over to her as she still lies half naked in bed.

She doesn’t respond, her face showing disappointment.