Chapter 26

The rain splattered across the windshield and the radio played the latest tunes off the charts as we drove into town. The music was just loud enough so we could enjoy the music, but if I wanted to talk to her I could. Yet, the music had filled the void of discussion. I drove, one hand on the wheel and the other lying on the center consoled, clenched in hers. Every minute, Mollie had shifted herself. One moment with both legs on the car floor, the next they were pulled up to her chest and then a moment later, she would cross them. She always did this before a big show or something she was nervous for.

            “You alright?” I ask, picking up on her nervous habits.

            “Yeah, yeah,” she responds, startled by the question.

            “You don’t seem like it.”

            “I’m just nervous…. Are they still behind us?”

            I look in my rear view mirror to see the same cars still following us. Ever since the news broke of Mollie and David’s breakup the other day, the paps had been following us everywhere. It was hard for Mollie to slap on a smile in times like this because she was anything but happy with them around. But yet, she did; she always did.

            “Yup.”

            She shakes her and turns herself to stare out the side window, still holding onto my hand.

            “Maybe we should have called Peter for a car,” she lets out, frustrated.

            “That wouldn’t keep them from following us, babe.”

            She knows I’m right and she remains silent.

            We pull in front of the office building and get our things situated.

            “You ready?”

            She nods. And then we jump out of the car, immediately swarmed by paparazzi. The cameras nearly inches away from our faces. Countless men shouting so many things at us that it all becomes one blurred sentence. I find Mollie who has a slight smile plastered on her face, trying to her best not to break it. I could tell she was trying as hard as she could not to buckle down so she put on that glowing face everyone loved to see. We continue fighting our way through, intense slanders being thrown at both of us. And then she grabs onto to me like I was a shield. And I tried to be, pushing our way through the herd to reach the front door. A security man near the door starts to clear a path for us to enter and soon enough we are finally inside the building.

            “Ladies,” the man from the photoshoot greets us in the doorway. He’s dressed in a slick, business suit with his briefcase still attached to his hand. “I’m John, Mollie’s lawyer,” he sticks his hand out to me, “Francesca, right?”

            “Frankie, yes,” I shake back.

            “Shall we?” He signals to the elevators.

            We make our way into the elevator and just as we do, Mollie retakes my hand in hers. She’s fidgety and keeps playing with her hair.

            “Babe,” I say, causing her stop. “It’s going to be fine.”

            As we reach our floor, she drops my hand to straighten out her blazer, fix her pants and toss her hair once more. We arrive to the floor and follow John out of the elevator. The walls are covered in stainless steel and black, white and gray appliances to accessorize the chic interior. We are soon greeted by another man who is also sharply dressed in a suit.