Chapter 25

Click, click, click. The camera snaps photos of the girls and me at our first shoot back since the tour. The bright lights and the scaffolding of the set slowly but surely becoming way too overwhelming. But I held my composure, trying my best to look “sexy.” I occasionally snuck a few peaks over at Mollie; the camera loved her and there was no denying that.

            “Alright, girls. Let’s get the next look,” the director announces to us.

            We begin to make our way off the set and crew members immediately take our place, making the necessary adjustments for the next look. As I head off, I turn back around, my eyes searching for Mollie. My eyes lock with hers and she gives me a slight smile and then quickens her pace so she’s next to me, slyly slipping her hand into mine.

            We enter into our dressing room, everyone kicking off their heels immediately. Nick, Frank, Adam and Celena are gathered around the TV, peering at the gossip reporters on the screen. The room that was buzzing with chatter just a moment a go is now dead silent. Pictures and videos clips of Mollie and David then begin to fill the screen.

            “…the two have announced their break-up today. Sources say the split is directly related to the news that broke about a month ago, where Mollie was hospitalized due to severe injuries. It was rumored that David was the source of the injuries,” Mollie is frozen with the clips of David exiting out of the hospital and I squeeze her hand to let her know it will be okay, “But neither Mollie or David’s reps have confirmed the matter. There has been no other word on the Mollie’s rumored affair with band mate, Frankie Sandford, but sources close to the pair have said Mollie has been residing at Frankie’s home since her release from the hospital,” Mollie’s body language shifts, a slight smile crossing her face and she squeezes my hand back as images of her and me run on the screen. “David and Mollie were together for about a year. When asked about the breakup, their reps had no comment. In other news…”

            There is an awkward pause for a second, but once everyone sees how at ease Mollie and I are, they all carry on back to what they were doing. There is no look of worry on her face, rather she looks relieved, like a weight has been lifted. She turns towards me, her hand still in mine, and those bright, blue eyes shine into mine. I see Peter appear in the doorway behind her. Mollie sees my gaze and turns her head to look at Peter.

            “Mollie,” Peter calls calmly. A professional dressed man carrying a briefcase lurks behinds him.

            She slides her hand out of mine and heads off into the distance with them. I couldn’t help but feel concerned and I guess it showed.

            “What was that about?” Vanessa questions from behind me as she sits in the dressing room chair, letting Nick fix her hair.

            “I have no idea,” I respond, puzzled.

*****

            About an hour later, the girls and I sit in the dressing room, playing around with our phones in boredom. Vanessa, who is sprawled out on the couch, is almost about to pass out. I hear a scuffle of shoes near the door and turn my attention towards her. Mollie walks back into the room, completely straight faced. I get out of my chair and dart her direction.

            “Who was that?” I ask her. 

            “My attorney,” Mollie replies, noticing the rest of the girls carefully looking at her.

            “What happened?” I quietly question, careful not to attract more attention than we already had. It wasn’t that she didn’t want the girls to know. But with all that has already happened, she wanted to wait to get all the details straight before telling everyone.