Chapter 35

'Like a beautiful mermaid, that stings with her songs when she shatters another's heart. I warned you .'

As mum drove the rain pounded down onto the car roof. Thomas sat quietly in the back, his blue blanket wrapped around him - keeping him safe and warm.

The radio played softly in the background.

But my head swarmed, my cheeks were burning.

The sky was darkening.

I anxiously scratch my skin on my hand. Staring out the window, we pull up onto our drive, the gravel crunching.

I open the door in a hurry and race up to the front door, standing under the concrete cover.

"Cassie!" Mum shouts out to me.

I turned around to face her, she's standing next to where Thomas was sat, the door wide open; her hair drenched. There was no sign of Thomas. Just his blanket hanging out the door.

I race over.

"Didn't you get him out!" Mum shouts at me. "Where is he!"

"Thomas!" I shout, frantically looking around. "Thomas!" Panic rises in my throat.

'I warned you'.

My eyes widened.

"No..." I whisper. "He can't have gone far! Stay here and call the police, I'll go look in the park for him!" I quickly sprint off towards the park.

The local park is a two minute walk away, but if he was carried... It would be a few seconds.

I run past the houses, their driveway lights suddenly turning on as I rush past. I squint as I approach the park.

A lamppost lights up the area. The fence is black, I see the swings - creaking as they sway back and forth. I opened the gate which squeaks loudly.

My chest sharply rises up and down, my lips are dry as I breathed raggedly.

"Thomas!" I shout out. There is no reply, just the eerie cool breeze from the wind and the sound of the rain on the tarmac.

I feel a buzzing in my pocket. I pull out my phone, the bright light hurts my eyes, it's mum.

"He's home Cas. He just turned up." Mums voice is quiet.

"Ok, I'll be home soon." I end the call and breathe out.

Turning around, I head back to the gate. As I walk through the gate something on the bench underneath the lamppost catches my eye.

Slowly, I walk over cautiously.

A red rose is lying on top of the bench. A blue card tucked into the packaging.

I quickly look behind me, no one was there.

I pick up the card. I fell to the floor, sobs breaking out uncontrollably.

'Next time, he won't come back'.