Chapter 13: Dinner

Now that I'm back to full health again, Arlo got me some clothes that actually fit and I asked Arlo a few questions "What'll happen to me if this society knows what I am?"
"Oh nothing sweetie. They won't find out. Ever. You're just ordinary to them. It'll be okay dearie." And at that we ate dinner. We ate in silence. After dinner I asked another question
"Do you actually sleep? Because when you said you we're sleeping you were still in your normal day clothes." And he just smiled and said "nothing gets past you, does it? No I don't sleep. When I got the gene it messed with the part of my brain that needed sleep. Now I just drink coffee, which I don't even need. I'm always wide awake." And I smiled and nodded. It was shy smile.
Like five minutes later Arlo stood up like it was habit and looked shocked. He told me to stay here and hide under the table and to not move in such a stern voice I was scared to do anything else. He left and came back with a cylinder staff except if you pushed a button it would shoot out a blade and, depending on how many times you pushed it, the blade got sharper and sharper. It was like that on both ends of the staff, too. He handed it to me and I took it from his hand reluctantly. I looked at him with a curious look and thought 'how am I suppose to use this?' And he told me "you'll know how to use it when the time comes" and told me to stay there again and only use it if needed.
Before he could walk out he door a creature came in and I let out a little whimper. He told me it'll be alright and he started to attack it with his knife thing.
His eyes faded from blue to red, hitting every color in between as if warming up. As his eyes got redder, his fighting skills got a lot better.