Chapter 26: Finally

It has been one day.
Not one sign of a city.
Or life period.
I'm getting mad.
I'm bored and Arlo is driving me up a wall. He keeps saying not too much farther and it's been a day. Then. Like right there. I saw a shimmer of gold, of blue then of red.
It was there. Right there. The beautiful city. I ran and ran and ran. Arlo yelled "Stop! Stop! It's still a while away! You'll just tire yourself!" Then I stopped. But not because what he said. There was a cliff and I almost fell off. A few yards over was a bridge but it looked pretty sketchy.
"Hey! We have to take the bridge. I know it looks sketchy but...."
Arlo stopped. Something was hiding behind the trees where we just were.
Remember the creatures that chased us? That they were IN THE TREES? Yeah well, now there are at least one hundred creatures.
"I THOUGHT THEY ONLY CAME OUT AT NIGHT." I stampered as I raced Arlo to the sketchy bridge. "YEAH, ME TOO DEAR." He managed to yell back as he grabbed my shirt and yanked me back on the bridge after I fell through a weak spot.

⊙⊙⊙⊙

Let's just say I don't remember what happened. All I remembered was Arlo's eyes turning red and him yelling at me to calm down because my eyes were unmistakably glowing red.
Wait, glowing red?
Anyway, we got to the city and managed to scream loud enough to out number the creatures and kill them all, while the others had minor injuries.
"Arlo, are you alright?" I asked as I fell over from dehydration. I didn't pass out this time. Why was my back burning so bad? Oh well.
"Uh Jacqueline?" Arlo passed out. I followed soon after.

"No," I screamed at myself through the darkness. "You have to hold on!!!"
Was that a bright light I saw in the far off distance? It's so beautiful.
"Come to me, Jacqueline," is that Arlo? "Come to the light with me."
It was so warm and inviting. What accent was that? French? Should I follow?
"Baby." I muttered in my coma.