Chapter Five

Lunch was Nova's favorite time of the day. She even told everyone who asked that lunch was her favorite subject freshman year. However, this year Nova had been having trouble removing herself from her summer memories. She often found herself back at the last night she spend at the beach and the last night she spoke to Robert Evers.

*****
"I wish the summer and this trip would never end" Nova said. It had been the best trip ever since she met Robert. "We have to go back eventually. Vacations are borrowed time." Robert replied. He thought Nova was an amazing girl but he didn't want to think about how this was all ending when she left in the morning. They both stared out at the moonlight waters. Nova smiled as she remembered the trip. It was the summer she turned 16 and the specialty of turning 16 remained to be true. Robert was the first guy she'd met in long time who made her feel noticed. Every smirk, every laugh, and every story brought them closer together. "Promise me next summer will be like this." Nova said. Robert smiled at the girl sitting next to him. "Nova I can't promise you that, love, but I promise I'll be back and you'll have time with me then." He said. Without question they moved closer together. "That sounds amazing" Nova said leaning into Robert. He seemed to get the message she was sending and leaned in as well. From far down on the pier a little voice called for Robert. "It's time to come in! It's past midnight!" It called. Robert sighed and jumped down from the ledge they'd been sitting on. He kissed Nova on the cheek and walked away.

***
"Earth to space cadet Nova" Valerie said impatiently. "Where am I?" Nova sighed. "Uh you're in Taylor High's cafeteria?" Ricky told Nova. Nova blinked as if she was now noticing she wasn't alone and it wasn't summer. "Must've been some daydream" Valerie said. "You're drooling." Nova quickly wiped her mouth which made everyone at the table laugh. She could feel Monty staring at her from the other end of the table. "Is there a problem Monty?" Nova snapped. "I'm just wondering why you down there dreaming about me and I'm right here baby girl." He replied. Ignoring Monty's failed attempt at charm, Nova threw her tray away and went outside.