ten

"good morning, mr. g." i say, sliding a cup of coffee, that i bought for him, closer to him on his desk.

he doesn't look at me or greet me, but just continues to write on students work. okay, maybe he's just busy. don't get too caught up. i set my bag down, crouching to get my finished assignments and walk it over to him.

my head pounds from all of my movement. i'll try not to seem hungover, but i can't help but think about the party because i hear freshman in the class talk and swoon over it. how half of them lost their virginity freshman year of college.

i pull my cropped sweatshirt down as i approach his desk once again. i set the papers gently onto it and he looks at them for a second and then up at me, furrowing his eyebrows.

"missing assignments." i clarify.

"it's too late to turn them in." he tells me, his voice harsh and firm.

"what?"

"and you're failing my class." jack adds, which onto makes me more confused.

a sudden rush of anger flows through me. why is he being like this? i take my paper back and crumple it in my hand. i look at him once more, scoffing before grabbing my bag and storming out of the door.

if he wants to be annoyed with me for no possible reason, i'll act the same way back. i've already done four years of math in high school, i think i'm good.

"mercedes, where do you think you're going?" i hear mr. gilinsky's deep voice behind me, making me shudder involuntarily.

"to the school board." i reply, turning around to face him.

"what? why?" he frowns, his eyebrows pulling together more.

"i'm gonna tell them-"

"don't you dare." he seethes, cutting me off.

"that you're a horrible teacher. not that we slept together. i wouldn't stoop down to your level of bitchiness." i retort and he runs his hand through his hair.

"get back in the room."

"you know what?" i say and he raises an eyebrow. "i will go back into the room. to grab that coffee that i paid four dollars for."

i push past him and hear his frustrated sigh. i go over and grab the coffee. i can practically feel everyone's eyes on me and i don't mean to be the center of attention, i'm just pissed off.

jack blocks me from the door, "you need to stay. even if you're not going to do anything." he softly tells me.

"no. i'm hungover and i have a huge headache." i lower my voice. "i'd really appreciate if it we didn't argue right now."

"as you wish." mr. gilinsky mutters,  rolling his eyes and moving out of my way.

*

as discussed last night, i make my way to watch max's practice and i am not looking forward to facing jack. i'm going to make sure that it doesn't end in sex this time. he better keep his distance away from me.

i approach the field and see amaya conversing with derek as the rest of his teammates walk out onto the turf. amaya was always the one in our friendship to get all googly eyes over a boy.

i'm stopped i hear something drop in the fake grass. someone comes up behind me, putting their left arm around my neck, putting me in a gentle headlock and forming their right hand into a gun, resting it on the side of my head.

"don't move." the voice whispers and i instantly smile like an idiot.

"hi, max." i laugh and he quickly kisses the side of my head.

"hello." he grins at me.

i turn to fully face him and he picks his helmet off of the floor, putting it on his head, letting the mouth guard hang off of it.

"go kick some ass against your teammates." i tell him and he smiles.

"for you." he jokes.

"no, for the sake of you staying on the team."

"you look cute." he says out of the blue, playing with one of my braids.

"why thank-"

"everyone get in their places! that includes you, robinson." mr. gilinsky shouts, making me jump.

"have fun." i wave max off as he jogs to his spot.

i sigh, heading over to amaya. i never saw her after the party which was a little strange.

"hey." she smiles, greeting me.

"when did you get here?" i ask.

"a little earlier than usual. i wanted to talk to derek." she tells me and i smile.

"you two hitting it off?"

"amazingly well!" she exclaims. "he's not an asshole. well, he's nothing compared to what people say about him."

that's the same about max.

"what about you and max?" amaya asks me and i shift my weight onto one foot.

i shrug, "i guess i just have to see where everything goes-"

"mercedes." i hear a raspy voice next to me, causing me to turn.

i come face to face with jack and he nods at me, not showing any emotions. impassive much.

"mr. gilinsky, hello." i mutter.

"now, now, is that a way to greet your professor?" a small grin comes across his face, making me roll my eyes and face amaya again.

we both continue to watch the game, jack's obnoxious shouting interfering here and there. when there's a water break, the team jogs to the large gatorade jugs. max approaches me all sweaty with his water bottle in hand.

"you're good." i tell him, smiling.

"thank you." he smiles back. "i try."

"can i steal mercedes for a quick moment?" jack butts into the conversation, making me want to slap him. "i need to talk to her about school."

"sure." max shrugs, turning to talk to a pupil.

"what's up with you today?" i seethe while narrowing my eyes as we walk a fair distance away.

"nothing. what's up with you? showing up to class late and flirting with one of my players." he emphasizes.

"i wasn't late. i just-" i cut myself off, not wanting to sound stupid. "why do you care anyway. changing my grade from an f to an a and then back to an f because i won't give you sex."

"i never asked for sex again after that one time." he spits at me through gritted teeth and i cross my arms over my chest.

"so it was just a one time thing?" i raise my eyebrows. "do you do that with all of your students?"

"you're so fucking aggravating." jack sneers at me and then resumes to ordering around the players.

{vote, comment, share}