Chapter 12

Chrissy brought me breakfast and the family ate with me. They all tried to convince me that they are my family. Most of them left the house when I refused to listen to any of them. Christina still refuses to give me back to my family. I surprisingly miss the twins. Edna and I are sitting on the couch in the living room. Wait, if this is my memory then it'll be Phillip's memory too. I need to find out what day and year it is. "Edna, if November 13th, 1993 isn't my birthday, then when is it?" She has no idea that this is the way I'm gonna get home. "You were born on the night of February 29th, 2112. It was snowing and your mother made your father stay at the hospital until the snow stopped after you were born. She didn't want him to drive in the snow. It's too dangerous."

I was born on leap day? Now I understand why dad changed my birthday. "Wait so today is February 28th, 2129?" Edna slowly nodded. "Yes. Since you were born on leap day, we celebrate your birthday on the 28th each year but leap year. Last year was your fourth official birthday." Perfect. "Where did I live before dad took me?" Edna had to hold back a smile. "Right here in this house. Masterson, Oklahoma." Masterson? So my name isn't even my name? It's the name of the town I supposedly grew up in? "Masterson? As in Greggory Masterson?" Edna nodded. "Yes Gregg. Your great-grandfather, my father in law and your father's grandfather, founded this town. The town thrived and became the capital of the state." Okay so he kept his last name. Wait, why am I believing any of this? She's an old woman, why would she lie to me? I don't know what to believe anymore.

"Edna, how do I know you are really my grandmother and that anything you say is true?" Her eyes sadden but she keeps the smile on her face. "Because I missed you so much and I'd never lie to you even to keep you here. In the end it's your choice to stay or leave. You're a grown boy. You get to choose how you want to remember your life." I guess this is what Phillip meant by don't mess up our life. I want to go home to my dad and I'm not changing my mind. Edna knows I won't stay but I have to tell her anyways. "Listen, Edna, I've grown fond of you but I just can't stay. My life is literally in the past. I know my family there, no matter how much they bother me, I love them. I don't think I could love the family here. I need my dad, he's the only person I have. I just don't think I could just change my life and live without him. I'm sorry but if it makes you feel better, I'll never forget about any of the family here and I'll know no matter how alone I feel, someone loves me." She's crying now so I embrace the small frail old woman.

"Okay Greggory. I'll take you home myself because Chrissy will never willingly take you back." We both stand and walk to the small silver smart car. The quick acceleration comes quickly and soon enough I'm back home. I'm not sure when but I'm home. We both get out and walk to the door. I ring the bell and wait for the door to open. When the door finally opens I see my dad. He's never looked so shocked in his life. "Mom?" I can't tell if he's happy or angry. He's not showing really anything on his face except disbelief. "Hey dad. How long was I gone? Oh by the way, I met Edna and the rest of the family." I say almost sarcastically. I'm angry at him? He did take me away from my family but I don't remember any of them. I barely remembered my own mother.

"Greggory, don't be rude to your father. He had the best intentions, I'm sure." Edna said without looking away from her own son. "Mom?" My dad was only able to say that single word. I push passed my father into the house. I pull my dad out of the way and let Edna into the house. "Come on dad. It's only been ten years. Plus you're the one that left her." Dad snaps out of it when I say that. "What are you talking about? Your mother kicked me out and told me that if I ever showed my face around the family ever again, she'd never let me near my own son. Yes I left and I took you with me. I'm so sorry, mother. I didn't have time to say goodbye." Wait I'm so confused. The story keeps changing.

"So you didn't just up and leave with Gregg? Chrissy told us all that you kidnapped her son and then we didn't ever hear from you again." Edna sounds surprised. I'm just going to stay silent and listen to this little family reunion. "Chris went crazy and told me to leave, so I did, but I wasn't leaving my son with her. I came way back into the past because these times are so much simpler and better to raise Gregg in. We had the technology to be here and I had to keep him away from Chrissy." Edna shakes her head. "Ronald you kept him away from his entire family! Not just Chris. I don't care that Chrissy didn't have him but you took him away from me and his cousins and your own brother. He grew up without a family Ron." As if that was their cue, Felicia and the twin walk in. "Dipwad! You're home!" Sam and Harry say in unison. How long was I gone? They both tackle me. Harry gives me a noogie and Sam gives me a wedgie. "Agghh! I missed you guys too." I say with a strained voice. "Hey hun, who's this? Hi, I'm Felicia, Ronald's wife." She introduces herself. Edna seems a little surprised. "Hello. My name is Edna Masterson. I'm Ronnie's mother." Felicia and the twins looked shocked.

That's my chance to push them off of me. They land on the floor with a loud thud. I jump off of the couch and go sit by my grandmother. "I have family right here Edna. I didn't grow up alone. I may have grown up with awful brothers and a terrible step-mother but they're family. I wouldn't trade them for anything, including my actual family. I'm sorry." She nods slowly. "I know Gregg. I better be going home now. I need to tell Chrissy to let you go. She has us. I'll visit on your birthday Gregg, how does that sound?" I smile and nod. "I would love that grandma. Come on my real birthday, okay?" I finally stop calling her Edna. She's family. My dad say nothing and hugs his mother. I think he whispers something to her but I couldn't hear it. We both walk her to the small car and wave her goodbye.

"What was that all about Ronnie?" Felicia asks. "That's a long story sweetheart. Let's save it for another time." Long story? You're telling me.