Chapter 4

Hiccup's POV

I got on Toothless and we took off. I need a flight to clear my mind. What my mom said to me gave me the shivers.

~Flashback~

"Mom? You wanted to see me?" I asked as I walked into her room.

"Yes Hiccup." She nodded sweetly and beckoned to a chair.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked uneasily as I sat down. It's never good when your mom wants to see you. It can be really serious, I might have done something horribly wrong.

"Nothing's wrong. Hiccup, you're a grown man now, I believe that it's time for marriage." Mom said.

"Marriage?" I blurted out. "But mom, I'm not ready for this kind of stuff. I still haven't even got used to being chief yet, there's an awful lot to do. I don't believe this is the time for marriage."

"I'm positive that you are ready. At this age, you really ought to be married. Astrid-"

"Mom, I'm too young for this." I cut in.

"Nonsense, did you know that when I was your age, this was the time that I married your father."

"Still, I don't want to get married. Astrid's great, but I don't think that I want to marry, not right now. Or maybe... I don't know. I haven't thought anything about marriage. I don't even think I wanna marry."

"She loves you, you love her. I don't see why you two shouldn't be married. Besides, Astrid has hinted a little."

"Mom, I really, really don't want to get married. There's so much responsibility that I'm holding right now, my hands are too full for marriage. Being chief is though enough, I don't think I want to be a husband."

"Are you saying that you don't want to be with Astrid?"

"What? No! Yes, I mean... I don't want to get married yet, that's it! Mom, are you thinking that I don't like Astrid?! How can you accuse me of that!?"

"I'm just judging by your words and your reaction. Tell me the truth Hiccup, do you love Astrid or not? This question has nothing to do with the marriage, do you love her wholeheartedly?"

I didn't know what to say to be honest. My mom is really playing tricks with my mind. A part of me secretly agreed with her. Do I not love Astrid? But how can that be? Like, I knew her for so long and I'm quite positive that I'm in love with her. Or does my mind think so and not my heart? Is it true?

"I... Uh, I don't know! Maybe I don't even know what love is!" I blurted out.

Mom looked at me. I don't know what my answer has made her think. I'm in a whole lot of trouble now.

"Calm yourself down and try to clear your thoughts." She sighed. "You're confused. I've been in that situation before. Go, get some rest."

I nodded and walked out of her room. But then I saw Astrid, her eyes were rather red and puffy. It looked like she's been crying.

"Hey Astrid. Is there something?" I asked. "What happened?"

"You mean... You don't love me and don't want to get married?" Astrid asked and more tears ran down her face.

I was taken aback. Was she spying just now? Did she hear the entire conversation?!

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I was just passing by and I heard you and your mother talking rather loudly. I didn't mean to spy on you and I wish I didn't hear all that!" Astrid said.