Chapter 2

Wednesday.

As usual, I get up at 7:00 am. I put my hair up in a bun and go to the kitchen to make some coffee for me and for my aunt. I also prepare a bowl of strawberries, blueberries and banana pieces for me and get some cereal biscuits for my aunt. I serve the coffee in two different mugs. Exactly at 7:30 I call my aunt to come downstairs and have breakfast together, just as every morning. She comes slowly and looks very sleepy, maybe she couldn't sleep well. I take her pills from the cabinet and put them on the table next to a glass full of water.

- Thank you.- She whispers.- How are you? Did you sleep well?- She asks me with a sweet smile on her face.

- I slept very well, how about you? You seem a little tired.

- This terrible cold doesn't let me sleep in peace.- She complains. She sits on her usual sit and takes the pills, getting them into her mouth, followed by the glass of water.

- I can take charge of the café if you want, just so you can sleep for a couple hours.

- Don't worry, dear, I'm fine, I'll take a nap on the lunch break.- I smile at her and start eating. Once we finish she cleans everything up as I go upstairs to the bathroom. I take a hot, short shower and get dressed. I dry my hair and put it up in a decent ponytail.

I unplug the charger off my phone and keep it in my pocket as I take my coat from my closet. Before I leave I check my look and outfit and go with her downstairs and then outside.

Right now is freezing and it makes me want to go inside and stay under the hot water of the shower at least two weeks.

We arrive to the café in less than ten minutes and as soon as we arrive I turn the heater on.

My aunt starts to set up the tables as I sweep the floor. Once my aunt has finished she turns the little sign in the door from Close to Open.

The café gets full quickly and as my aunt works in the kitchen, I write down the orders. I actually enjoy helping my aunt this way. It's like another way to get to know people and that kind of makes me happy. Sometimes I feel too lazy, but I'm getting closer and closer to the opportunity of meeting Gabrielle for the first time in what seems forever.

Mr.Moore arrives at ten o'clock and sits down in his usual table, next to the window. I quickly go to his table and without saying anything he shows me a sweet smile.

- Good morning, Mr.Moore, how's the morning going?

- Very good, Eleanor.- He laughs.- Look what I brought you today.- I look at him as I fill his mug with hot tea. My jaw falls to the floor when I see the little ballerina on his hand. It's not like the ones he's already brought me, this one's made of glass, it's bigger and the most beautiful one.

- Wow, Mr.Moore...it...it is beautiful. Like...so so beautiful...wow...- He laughs and my smile grows even more.

- This one's special, treat her right. This one was my wife's favorite, she's been protecting me since my wife died and now...I thought she could be protecting you.- His smile dissapears and I look at him taking the little ballerina in my hands.

- You should keep it, Mr.Moore, this one is important for you.

- Keep it, Eleanor, you'll understand, one day.- What? I keep it in my pocket without asking anything else.

It's finally 12:30 and my aunt turns the sign around once more and asks me to go to the shop and buy some tobacco. I put on my coat after taking the money and leave. When I enter the shop there's only a boy standing and the woman I usually talk to. I ask her for a box of Winston tobacco and she gives it to me with a smile on her face.