Chapter 3 [Harmony]

Melody had a great voice, but people were clapping for her guitar skills. That's the instrument she played the most. She improvises while playing, but she didn't this time. I went up to Melody and noticed her hair was different. I looked back and saw everyone going back to lunch. I turned back to Melody and spoke in a hushed tone

"Your hair is different, Melody." Her hair turned ombré, the base of her hair was the same black and turned to a bright blue. She grabbed a strand of her hair and put it in front of her face, and let go and looked down at me feet and winced. She pulled up her right pant leg and gasped. I looked down to her leg and saw a blue mark. It was a treble clef, but instead of a circle at the bottom, it has a m, like for Melody.

"When did you get that?" She looked over to me

"I never had blue hair, or this mark. I admit it is cool, but Dad will freak." I nodded. That is true.

"Okay, we will fix that later. What's wrong?" She gave me a confused look.

"What are you talkin' about?" Did she think I am blind

"You only play like that, without improve, when you are in a bad mood. So tell me." She looked to the ground and spoke in a voice I have never heard before. A shy voice

"Alex saw me drawing." I can't believe that is what got my energetic little Melody.

"I know you hate people seeing your drawings, but that is so small. Alex probably didn't mean to make you feel bad. You are a loud person, you have to admit that, but seeing you like this is weird." She looked up and started laughing, that was the Melody I know and love.

"What subject do we have next?" We had music. So we were already in the room.

"This class is our next class. You can practice. I'm just gonna sing for a while." She nodded. I went into the practice room and started singing.

As I was singing, I glanced around the main room. My eyes darted straight for the xiao. I loved the nice and soft tune to relaxing chinese music. I walked back, and I picked up the bamboo flute. I brought it in today for something special. I started to play some nice music, and I started to play Mom's favorite music. It was a part of a three hour relaxation thing.

I looked over to Melody, and there was a look of disgust. She hated Mom's taste in music, but she loved her instruments. I grinned and continued to play. I could play the xiao better than her. I mean, she never really wanted to learn to play it.

"Hey, Mel!" I said.

"What?" she asked.

"I think...."

"You think what?"

"I think.... I think....."

"YOU THINK WHAT, WOMAN?!"

"I think I can sing secrets better than you!" I shouted. She stared at me and then yelled back

"YOU KNOW THAT IS THE ONLY SONG I AM BETTER THAN YOU IN. I admit, I am crap at the xiao, but I sing Secrets way more and you barely know the lyrics."

"I like to listen to the beat," I said, "Not the lyrics. It's only when I have to learn the song is when I pay the most attention to the lyrics. Besides, I can play it better than you on the violin!"

"OH, YOU DID NOT JUST DO THAT!"

"OH I DID, SISTER!"

"Okay, you know I am better, and you know what you are better at singing anything other than Secrets. I am great at Secrets, singing and instrumentals, but you are epic at Mom's favorite songs. I couldn't play if I wanted to. It's boring."