In-between

The avoidance of Tracy, in every form, lasted a full week. The medication had cleared Lily's system and she returned to her stoic form in peace. She was boring, unfeeling, and that was okay. It was preferred.

Tracy attempted to contact Lily once more and she left a message that said she would come by after work and she'd be bringing Danny along. It was an attempt on her part to coax Lily into seeing her. But Lily wouldn't fall for it. It was a terrible thing to do, especially when Tracy had been and was trying so hard, but Lily didn't want to take her medication. There wasn't a large fight in her but the instinct to remain lifeless kept Lily far away from Tracy. So Lily walked herself to a nearby grocery store to stock up on provisions when she thought Tracy might be off work. It was safer for Lily now to walk than drive, since her mind tended to escape.

The store was yellow in hue, Lily thought, courtesy to the lights that echoed off the dingy eggshell colored floors. The color paid Lily no mind and she it. The list in her pocket crinkled as she brought it out and she stopped only so far into the entrance of the store to stare at what she had written. Scribbles and lines that never met screamed under the yellow tint of the lights and Lily attempted to decipher them. Somehow, someway, Lily had written the list while she was hollow, and what she saw was absolutely horrific. Forcing herself to walk again, she shoved the useless paper back into its cave. If she could remain in the moment for the next half hour or so then she could buy the few things she knew she needed.

But staring was what Lily did. At items and prices and brands and shelves. Her cart managed to hold a few things but her soul felt heavy. She wanted to return home, but Tracy might be there. So she soldiered on and simply dragged random items into her cart to waste time.

"Lily?"

Her reaction was slow and she blinked once before laying eyes on June, who had a basket slung over her forearm with a few items in it, her face surprised. Lily blinked again and said, "Yes?"

June walked nearer, carefully. "How are you?"

"What are you doing here?" Lily asked. "You shop here?"

"Not usually. I was just on my way home and stopped..." She stopped on her way to Lily, too. "I haven't seen you in a while. I tried to get in contact with you through Tracy but she said you were sick. Are you okay?"

The bagels on the shelf near hip level looked good. Lily reached for them and placed a bag of six in her cart. "What do you want with me?"

"I just... I wanted to apologize, for that day when you were at my house. I don't know if I offended you or said something wrong... I'm sorry."

Something sounded in Lily's ear and she followed it with her eyes. "If you don't know what you did then you can't be sorry for it."

June's gaze traced the path of Lily's, then returned. "I... you're right. Can I... ask why you left so hastily?"

"I wasn't feeling well."

"Because of me?"

"Yes."

"What did I do?"

"You were there. You made me feel. Can you walk with me? Your talking to me is keeping my mind on this plane."

June agreed and stayed close, but peppered Lily with questions about that day. Lily answered honestly because it hadn't occured to her to lie. June asked what Lily meant about making her feel. Lily said she didn't know, exactly. June asked why Lily was feeling bad. Lily asked if June liked feeling angry or hurt or upset. June said no, then asked if Lily liked feeling happy or excited or pleasured. Lily said no. June asked why. Lily said it all lead to heartbreak and death in the end. June said that was morbid but by then Lily was buying her goods and she left June behind to walk back home.