Chapter 9

As months passed by without Storm my house became unbearable. I got a job just so I didn't have to be home. It became more evident than ever that my parents were getting a divorce. There was no way around it. My dad was constantly out of the house. I'm pretty sure he was spending nights in hotels just get away. Most nights my house was empty. Not even I was home. There was no reason to be home in an empty house filled with silence.

Simon and I hadn't been speaking much either. His life was busy. He always had something going on. It was like he had no social life outside his little group. 

I was at work. It was some shoe store. I knew nothing about shoes so I have no idea how I landed the job but I enjoyed it. Seeing people so excited about a pair of shoes made my day. There was something about the joy on someone's face when they saw a brand new shoe. 

I looked up and saw a familiar face that I had seen plenty of times. "Raine?" I heard my name called as I looked up from straightening a shoe on the shoe wall. 

"Tobi?" 

"How've you been I feel like I haven't seen you in ages?"

"I suppose you want the honest truth?"

"Of course."

"Life has been pretty s h i t." I had to spell out the word because I was working. "My parents are getting a divorce so my house is just weird right now. I try to get as many hours here as I can so I don't have to deal with real life."

"Damn. I'm sorry girl." I shrugged. 

"There's nothing anyone can do honestly. How is everyone?"

"We're all doing well. Some of them are here with me."

"Really?" I instantly started to scan the shop. It wasn't very big, there weren't really places for them to hide from sight. I saw eyes looking at me. A blue set of eyes I knew all too well. Within seconds I was pulled into a hug. 

"Plane boy." A smile was spread across both of our faces. We both clearly missed each other. 

"Cheater I've missed you."

"That's what happens when you're a busy bee."

"What are you doing tonight?" He asked. I contemplated telling the truth. 

"Sucking some willy. Doing some hardcore drugs. Getting wasted. You know the usual." He laughed. "I work for a few more hours and then I was thinking about driving up to see Lanie since I don't work tomorrow. A little surprise for her for the weekend."

"Oh so you didn't have plans to hang out with this really cool dude from the Internet?"

"I don't know any really cool dudes from the Internet just some really lame ones."

"Oh of course. So no plans with them?"

"I mean I might be able to change the plans around."

"Some really lame person might enjoy if you did that."

"Surprising Lanie will have to wait then."

"Raine get back to work." I heard in my ear piece which we had to wear while working. 

"So I just got yelled at for talking to you so will guys look like you are interested in buying shoes."

They both looked at the wall in unison. We continued to make plans before they picked out some shoes. 

"You don't have to buy something you guys."

"Clearly we wouldn't buy something we didn't want. Even it meant helping out our friend. We would leave you in the dust."