Chapter twenty-three

SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE.
I feel sad to say that this is the last chapter, therefore enjoy it.

It was the night before Ellington's twenty sixth birthday and he was extremely tired. After joey had woken up screaming and crying from a bad dream, Ellington had spent ages trying to calm him. Joey rejected his first few attempts of back rubbing, story reading and watching tv and after a long thirty five minutes, joey had settled on Ellington, listening to him as he sang softly. With his small arms wrapped tightly around his dad's neck and his small head rested on his shoulder , joey drifted off to sleep.

It had been several days since the phone call and Rydel hadn't gotten any better. She had spent the past few days in bed with the occasional trip to the bathroom to puke. Ellington was becoming genuinely worried because he had never seen her like this, even when she had a stomach bug. The weird thing was, her face wasn't really pale anymore. She didn't look sick but she clearly was.

The toilet flushing sound filled the air and Rydel emerged from the bathroom, buried in her pink, fluffy dressing gown. Her hair was lank but surprisingly still neat and her cheeks were an odd shade of pink. She looked up at Ellington but before she could speak, Ellington had gestured to her to be quiet as joey was asleep.

To indicate that she understood, she nodded her head and perched on the edge of the couch. Ellington took joey to his room and lay him down before returning.

Ellington sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her. She snuggled into his chest.

"Feeling any better beautiful?" He asked, rubbing her arms in a reassuring and loving way.

She nodded silently, messing with the rubber bracelets around his wrist her tiredness clear.

"Are you coming back to bed with me?" He asked, getting up and offering his hand to her. She took it, pulling herself to her feet. Rydel stumbled a little and then caught her balance, making her way to bed with Ellington's assistance.

The two of them lay down together, pulling the covers over themselves. Rydel lay on her side, facing away from him and he lay on his back, facing the ceiling. He closed his eyes and attempted to drift off to sleep.

"Ellington? Are you awake?" Whispers came from Rydel's direction about ten minutes later. Sleepily, he opened one eye and looked at her. She was now sitting up and looking at him, something clearly bothering her.

"Yeah, i'm awake. Is everything okay?" He replied, also sitting up and turning so he was facing her.

She fiddled with the blanket for a bit and then looked at the clock, clearly procrastinating. "Um, well, i have something to tell you. i was going to wait until tomorrow but- but i can't sleep until i get it off my chest."

Seeing that it was bothering her, he grabbed her hands. "Whatever it is, i'm here for you."

She paused, struggling to get the words out. Then suddenly, as quiet as a whisper she said.

"i'm pregnant."

Ellington couldn't help but look shocked. He didn't expect that at all. Rydel thought he was mad however and tried desperately to fix things.

"I-i didn't mean to- I don't even want to- it was an accident i guess- we must have forgot- i love you, don't leave me- im so scared- i-i'll get an abortion- i-i..." She panicked.

Ellington pecked her lips with some passion. "Rydel, i'm happy. i really really am. i love being a dad to joey and i would love to be a dad again."

She moved closer to him with his help and buried her face in his sweater. "Maybe your okay with it. But I'm not. You've seen me the past few days, that's pregnancy not sickness. It's only going to get harder and i know i can't do it.." She mumbled.

"You're not alone. I promise you, I'll be right here for the whole time. From right this second, until the day he or she leaves for college." Ellington whispered, twirling her hair around his fingers.

She tightened her grip on him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Ellington closed his eyes again and tried to go to sleep.

"The only thing that i wish is that i had been married before i got pregnant." Rydel whispered into the silent atmosphere.

"Then marry me." Ellington replied.

"What?"

Ellington reached into the drawer next to his bed and produced the black box, opening it.

Rydel gasped in shock. "Wait, really? Are you actually serious?"

"Of course! I've been trying to propose since Christmas!" Ellington exclaimed, kissing her cheek.

The alarm clock let out a quiet beep signalling that it was midnight.

Rydel turned to look at him.

"Happy twenty sixth birthday babe. You should start by making a birthday wish."

"What could I possibly wish for? All my dreams have come true."

tell me what you think? Good ending? I have a little announcement coming very very soon. :)