Graceful Wings (4)

I was sitting on my bed with my parents note in my hand. I had asked my grandmother if she still had that letter. And she gave it to me. I still hadn't read it yet. I was afraid to open it.

“I can't do it,” I thought.

I put the letter down in front of me. I closed my eyes took a deep breath. And opened my eyes again. The letter was still there, lying in front of me.

I reached my hand to pick up the letter, but then I pulled it back.

“I can't do this,” I whispered to myself and puried my face into my hands, “I can't fucking do this.”

I couldn't believe that I couldn't make myself to read that letter. I was supposed to be fearless creature of night.

“I know you can do this,” I heard a voice whispering.

I jumped and before I could scream, a hand covered my mouth.

“Keep it quiet,” Damien said, “Your grandmother just fell asleep.”

“You scared me,” I told him as he removed his hand from my mouth.

“I'm sorry,” he apologized and gave me a pecked my cheek, “I really didn't mean to scare you.”

“Oh really?” I asked, sarcasm filling my voice, “You were just sneaking up on me again, like any other normal person?”

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “You know I didn't mean to. I'm sorry.”

I turned my face, so I could face him. His eyes were so honest. His blue eyes were looking into mine. I couldn't look away from his beautiful eyes.

“What you can't do?” he asked.

I gave him a puzzled look.

“You were repeating how you couldn't to something,” he explained.

“Oh,” I realized.

I turned my gaze back to the letter. I picked it up.

“I can't read it,” I told him, “I'm afraid to find out what it says.”

“What is it?” he asked.

“It's the letter my parents left behind when they left me.”

He pulled me closer. “I'll be right by your side. You don't have to be afraid.”

“Would you'll read it with me?”

“If that's what you want, I will.”

My hands were shaking when I unfolded the letter. I took a deep breath before I started reading it.

“Dear Damesis,

We're sorry that we had to leave like that and leave our daughter with you like that. It will keep her safe. You can find some money in the cereal box, which has “Wade” written on it. It's for food and other stuff. Other sum is in another cereal box, which has “Neal” written on it. That's for school.

Would you take care of Myla? You'll probably never see us again.

Love,

Darcie and Raven.”

I looked at the letter and frowned: “That's it?”

“I guess so,” Damien answered.

I was surprised when a chuckle escaped from my lips.

“What's so funny?” Damien asked.

“Look at this letter,” I shook my head, “It's so short and I didn't get much information from it. And I was afraid of it. Isn't that funny?”