Chapter 17-Smoke

We walk back from the river, our thirst is calmed. Of course, I had to carry everything. We climbed up the mountain side as rocks tumbled down. Half way up the mountain, a familiar scent caught my nose. I sniffed the air, and it smelled like, smoke. My eyes widen. I look up, to where the treehouse would be hours later. Smoke filled the air, and all of a sudden, Veronika sprints up the mountain...

"Wait!" I shout after her. She trudges up the mountain, her shoes gripping the rocks. Mine, have been through the worst, with no traction. My feet slip, and I fall, scraping my knees. Finally, I get out of the rocks, but she is nowhere to be seen. I have no idea where she is at, so I run toward the treehouse, hours away...

After hours, I finally make it to back to camp, but the smoke covered everything. The fire is nowhere to be seen either. I hear wailing inside the smoke, a girl. It rush into the smoke, I follow the wails. "Mom!" I hear her shout. Hallucinations. The smoke starts to work its magic, sending me dizzy...

I can't find her,  she seems to be wailing everywhere. That's it, we're both gonna die here, I think. I suddenly trip over a body. Veronika lays there, groaning and whining. I pick her up and try to run. I stumble, and I catch my balance. The smoke fills up my nostrils. Why smoke? I ask myself and then I fall. I slowly lose my balance and I fall, and everything goes black...

Next Chapter-Awake