Chapter 2: The Photographs

Anya went into the upstairs living room, just outside her room. She walked around and examined the things around her. Her eyes darted around to the shelves, which held these frames with glass centers. Photo Frames. As Anya walked over to the shelves, one of the photos caught her eye. 

She looked over at the cluster of frames, and picked one of them up. The cold metal pricked her fingers, as Anya sat on one of the couches. The picture was of a girl on a swing, but she was on the lap of a woman. The same woman that Anya hugged.

The girl's hair was flying in front of her, and she looked like she was laughing. The woman was looking towards Anya, smiling and waving. Anya's mouth tugged into a small smile. She felt like she's been in this moment before, but she can't recall anything. 

Nothing at all.

"Anya?" she heard.

Anya turned her head, and she saw the woman. Her eyes were full of sorrow, and deep wonder. Anya wished why this woman looked so familar, but nothing came to her mind, once again. The woman gave her a reassuring smile, and sat down next to Anya.

"I see that you've found your favorite picture," she said, "You used to love the look of laughter and play. Especially when you were sad."

Anya looked at the picture. She was trying to understand the words "you've, your, and you" once again. She didn't know who they were stating, or if they were even stating a person. Anya didn't understand the word "You" in the first place.

"Anya, dear," the woman said, "Can you speak to me?"

Anya heard her name, and looked to the woman. Anya could understand all of the words the woman was saying, but the word "You". Speaking was also something that Anya thought she knew, but she didn't know how to. She was like a baby, not knowing how to speak. 

"I suppose I could talk about the picture?" The woman suggested, seeing how she wouldn't be getting an answer.

Anya smiled and nodded. The woman put her brown hair behind her ear and tilted the picture, so she could see it better.

"It was a very special day, Anya. The day of turning a bit more mature and better than your old self. It was your fifth birthday."

Again, that word lingered in Anya's mind. The woman continued on, with the story.

"You were so happy that your father and I got you a swing set, that you wanted me to go on with you. You laughed, screamed with delight, and even swayed with the swing. You were such a free soul. I just wish that you remembered, so you could speak to us about those happy moments again."

Anya saw that there were water drops, falling onto the picture frame. She looked to the woman, and she saw that she was crying again. Anya put the picture in the woman's lap and gave her a big hug. For some reason, She felt this warmth and heart-warming feeling spread through her. And then she got this odd memory.

She remembered of the wind blowing, and the autumnal leaves were dancing in the breeze. Anya had this blurry vision of jumping into all these colorful leaves, and they flew everywhere. She could almost feel the roughness of the leaves, as they followed the others to who knows where. 

The memory faded away, as Anya felt something drip from her eyes, and onto the picture of the woman and the girl.

K.C.T: Okay, sorry for not uploading sooner. I was busy studying, doing HW, and helping my sibling with things like H Pylori, autoimmune disease, Gilberts disease, and hepatitis. Wow, still can't believe I remember this. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter! <3