Chapter 11

Aria

I got a text from Kelly saying Salisha was gone. It’s 6am and I honestly didn’t feel like leaving the comfort of my mom’s home to deal with whatever Kelly was dealing with. But I had to be there for him. Averi was already awake so I made her bottle and we headed off to Kelly’s house.

When we got there, there was a giant hole in the wall. I already knew things weren’t good with him…

“Kelly where are you?”

“I’m in the room”

He was laying on his bed watching TV. Hi face lit up when he saw Averi

“Daddy missed you so much… Tell mommy she’s mean for taking you”

“Shut up, why is there a hole in the wall?”

“I got upset…”

“At?”

“Salisha… I told her to leave last night”

“Oh..well I’m surprised”

“Some people aren’t worth my time she’s one of them”

“Glad you’re finally seeing that”

“Yup”

“Oh and I’m not ugly” I said as I knocked him with the pillow

“You were at the moment”

I went to go knock him again but he picked up Averi

“Well played haha”

“Well you can’t hit her so bam perfect defense”

“I can never… Ugh I miss my mom”

“Oh yea how did it go with her?”

“It was great, she’s looks so much better and happier”

“Awwww”

“I’m happy for her”

“Me too”

“Can’t wait til she gets out. 19 more days”

“Long ass 2 and a half months”

“You can say that again, it needs to be over already”

“I’m happy for you babe…”

“Thanks… I’m a bit happier with life”

“You deserve to be”

“You do too”

“Oh I am happy. I have you and Averi keeping me focused. Bryan looking out for me like the dad I’ve needed. The absolute happiest I’ve ever been”

“You are one strong individual Kel”

“I know”

I laid my head on his chest while he played with Averi. Finally my perfect family

Bryan

The aids brought her out for her room. One glance at her and I was instantly happy. She looked as beautiful as she did 12 years ago. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and a smile drew across her beautiful face. Her arms extended and I gave her a big hug

“What’s this? Both of you guys 2 days in a row?”

“Yea, we miss you Lay. I’m so happy you’re doing better.”

“Aw thank you. You know like I said before the letters are really helping”

“Great, can’t argue with that. You look amazing”

“Thanks, you do too, I love the new hair”

“I figured you would haha thanks”

“You’re welcome”

“I have a huge surprise for you when you get home”

“Really? Hints”

“No hints, you’ll just have to see”

“Ugh you suck”

“Shush, you’re gonna love it I promise”

“I’ll take your word for it”

She took a quick moment and just stared at me. I couldn’t read her mind. She had a pretty good pokerface.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Us… Its crazy, I never thought we’d be… well like this”

“Neither did I… Patrick had a lot to do with it, but I saw how hurt you were after everything happened and it broke my heart to see you that way. I always loved you as a friend, but it just turned into something more”

“Thank you for being here for me after all these years, helping me with Aria, Patrick’s death, just everything…”

I saw her eyes watering up and I just held her.

“Someone had to. Glad I could be that person”

She pulled back and looked in my eyes. She kissed me and smiled. I smiled back her.

“I love you Layla”

“I love you too Bryan”

She laid in my lap and we talked literally for hours. Mainly about old times, like when she just had Aria and all the good times. We went out for lunch and came back. I stayed until she grew tired, but she didn’t want me to leave.

“I can’t stay, I promise I’ll come visit tomorrow”

“Okay fine”

I kissed her goodbye and the aid took her back to her room. She blew me a kiss and she disappeared behind the door.

Aria

I felt a chill and it caused me to wake up. I looked over that the cable box, 4:30am.

“Still a night owl I see”

Its been soo long since he came to me

“Hi dad…”

“Hi daughter”

I laughed, he’s so sarcastic. I only wish I got to actually see it

“She’s beautiful”. He brushed his hand past the side of Averi’s face and she smiled in her sleep. “Almost as beautiful as you when you were born”

“She’s a dream.”

“I bet”

“Things have gotten really better dad”

“You sure?”

“Yea. Layla has been doing better” He looked away as if he was uncomfortable “What’s wrong?”

“It’s my fault why she ended up in rehab. I said some things that sent her over the edge”

“Like?”

“Things like “you deserved everything Craig did to you”“

“Wha… Why would you do that??”

“I saw how she hurt you”

“But Dad that’s really messed up. I can’t believe you”

“I’m sorry Aria”

“I’m not who you’re suppose to be apologizing to”

“….You’re right”

“Besides I’m okay. Me and her are good again and she’s in a better place. Bryan has been doing a great job”

“Bryan… Man I love that dude, I want him to know how thankful I am that he’s held you guys down. Truly the best friend I’ve ever had”

“Awww”

“Oh hush. I love you Aria don’t ever forget that. I only wanna see you happy”

“Yes daddy”

He kissed Averi on her forehead and disappeared.