Chapter 10

Layla

Week 8 in the rehabilitation center, and I can honestly say there’s been a lot of progress. Instead of urges to picking up the bottle, I’ve just been writing. Letters. Just things I can’t say or things I’ve been holding in for too long. It helped me cope and let out everything I’ve been feeling. The aid came to get me from my room telling me I had a visitor. I figured it was Bryan since he’s been coming by an awful lot. I walked into the visiting room and there was Aria holding Averi. When she saw me, she cracked a smile, but quickly caught herself. I sat next to her on the couch and Averi looked up at me with her big grey eyes.

“…So how’s everything at home?”

“Its okay… I’m back in school now and Kel is graduating soon”

“That’s really good”

“When are you coming home?”

“20 more days. Listen Aria I wanna apologize for what happened. It wasn’t your fault”

“It’s okay. I’ve gotten over it”

“Really?”

“Yea, a little thing called forgiveness”

“Thank you so much”

“You’re my mother I have to forgive you… But anyway how have you been? How are you getting by?”

“I’ve been great actually. I feel a whole lot better, Bryan’s been coming by a lot giving me encouragement. I’ve learned to put my feelings on paper instead of bottling them up”

“You’re writing songs?”

“No, letters”

“Ohh, okay, that’s interesting”

“Sounds weird, but its working”

“Well whatever is making you feel as good you do is fine with me. I’m happy Bryan is still here for you”

“Me too”

“You know he loves you right?”

“Yes… I’ve known that since forever haha”

“Good, its completely obvious”

“I know, its cute”

“Aww you two make me sick… I can’t wait til you get home though”

“What have you guys done to the house?”

“Ohh nothing”

“K now I NEED to go home”

“Haha its nothing bad I promise.

We sat and talked for hours, until Averi started crying. Her ear piercing scream, this child is gonna be a singer.

“Well that’s my cue, I’ll see you in a few weeks?”

“Yes, you will. I love both of you, take care”

“Will do mom”

She gave me a hug and I’ve honestly never felt happier. I finally got her back

Kelly

I walked up to my door, peeped the driveway and saw Aria wasn’t home yet. I pulled out my keys and heard crying coming from the corner.

*Sigh* “Salisha what is it?”

She looked completely different. She was literally skin and bones. Her hair was thin and dull. She just looked disgusting.