CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

The Proposal

When Isaac and Phoebe went home, they had a serious talk about the wedding at her penthouse unit.

They were both at the kitchen. Phoebe was indulging herself with cookies-and-cream-flavored ice cream. Isaac knew then that his girlfriend was stressed. She loved to indulge on her favorite ice cream when she felt stressed or felt low.

She asked him, "Why didn't you tell me that your Mom is setting you up with Naomi? Tita Natalia might be assuming that I stole you from Naomi."

He told her, "I don't like Naomi, honey. I declined my Mom when she pitched the idea. I still haven't even met you then."

She declared, "I don't want to have problems with them, Isaac. It's one of the reasons I chose to stay in New York with all those years. If not for Daddy George's convincing, I won't be here."

"I could have agreed to date Naomi if I wanted to. But I don't. You're the one I love and you're the one I want to spend my entire life with," he told her.

"I think I'm not yet ready for married life, Isaac," she confessed. "I already told you about it this morning."

He asked her, "Don't you want to be married to me, honey?"

She answered, "I love you, Isaac. But I really don't think I'm ready for married life yet."

He snatched her ice cream spoon from her hand to stop her from eating, "Nothing will change except for your surname, honey. You can still go on with all you work."

She said, "You even haven't asked me formally regarding it. I just agreed to be your girlfriend last night, honey. Don't you think it's too soon for us to be married?"

He knelt down on one knee in front of her. He got a velvet case from the secret chest pocket inside his jacket. "I bought this during my trip to New York last month." He opened up the case and a humongous twenty-carat solitary heart shape yellow diamond appeared.

He really surprised her. Her tears fell. She felt so loved by the man kneeling in front of her.

"Will you be my wife, Phoebe?" He popped the question.

She sat by his other knee, hugged him, looked into his eyes and said, "I never felt so loved by a man until you came along in my life, Isaac. Yes, I will marry you, honey."

He kissed her lips and then put the ring on her finger.

He then carried her to her bedroom. They cuddled and talked. His arms were around her body. Her hands were by his hands on top of her tummy. They were on spooning position

"I want to personally apologize for my Mom, honey," he voiced out. "She just found out from Kuya Iñigo that I have been dating someone this morning. I think her initial plan was to have Naomi and I to be formally reintroduced to one another so, she invited them over for lunch."

"It's really okay, honey. But I was really surprised when your Mom bantered with Tita Natalia's sarcasm toward you," she responded.

He said, "Of course, he'll favor me more coz I'm her son. I also think that my family favors you more than they favor Naomi. They won't insist on our wedding if they have any misgiving on you."

She opened up to him, "But I'm not sure if I can be a good wife to you, Isaac."

He nibbled her ear, "Just be yourself, honey. Don't ever change anything. I love you just the way you are."