Chapter 8

Frankie

It was late Saturday morning and it was the day that I'd be hearing back from Vougish headquarters to see if I got the job as a new journalist for their magazine. I frantically checked my phone every 5 minutes to see if they had emailed me as I got ready for work.

"Calm down girl." I told myself as I slid on my sneakers. "You got this." I grabbed my keys and bag and headed for the door.

Once outside, I saw the busy streets loaded with traffic and pedestrians trying to get around. I wish I could turn around and go get back into bed, but my bills ain't gon pay themselves unfortunately. I put in my headphones and started blaring my music.

Break From Toronto started playing as I hummed along and zoned out from the world around me, until I saw a familiar face. I realized it was Ryan, Blaque's bestfriend. His eyes widened as he mouthed words to me. I took out my headphones and gave him the biggest hug.

"How are you Frankie?!" Ryan smiled widely showing his dimples.

I always thought he was cute with his tall stature, he had big hazel eyes and brown skin. But I knew he always looked at me as a little sister, and I was fine with that.

"I'm good," I smiled. "How are you?" I asked.

"Same, I can't complain. How old are you? It feels like I haven't seen you since you were like 14." He laughed.

"Well, I'm 22 now. Living on my own and all." I grinned.

He looked me up and down, "oh you grown now." He smirked.

"Word big bro," I put emphasis on the words "Big Bro" incase he got any ideas. "I'm on my way to work though so I'll see you around." I gave him a thumbs up.

"Hold up, let me give you my number just to keep in touch." He suggested. I took out my phone and let him put his number in. "See you around lil sis, stay safe." He smiled and walked away.

₪₪

Today at work was pretty cool, I was only here from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and those couple of hours seemed to zoom right by as I checked the clock and cleaned up my work station. "Frankieee." A voice called for me. I turned around and it was Trevor. "Wassup Trev?" I smiled. "Nothing, just on break bored as hell." He flipped through his phone. He stood next to me and leaned over the counter as he started to text. I couldn't help but notice he was texting someone called "Wife" with two red hearts. "I just hope you treat her right." I threw some used napkins away. "All in my business." He laughed. "But nah, for real.. you taught me a valuable ass lesson. I ain't never taking someone I care about for granted ever again." He nodded his head. "You better not." I said and grabbed my belongings from a small cabinet behind the counter. "You leaving?" He asked. "Yeah. I'll see you Monday, Trev." I put on my sweater and threw my bag over my shoulder. I gave him a side hug and left out.

₪₪

It took me no time at all to get home. I kicked off my shoes and settled in bed. I closed my eyes as everything went quiet. My phone buzzed and I took it from my back pocket to check the notification. "Gmail" was what I read from the lock screen as I quickly unlocked it. I went to open the email and saw it was from Vougish headquarters. My heart started beating fast as hell as I went to read it aloud.

"Hello Frankie Gray, out of the hundreds of submissions we've received to fulfill the role as a fashion journalist for our new magazine 'Vougish' we are pleased to inform you that we've chosen you for the job. Please contact us at 973-266-8034 and state your name to get your tour date information and to find out when you'll be starting. Welcome to the Vougish family."

OH MY GOD! I jumped up and down on my bed. I am so excited! I can't believe I did it, I'm so proud of myself! I smiled from ear to ear and danced around my room as I called my mother to share the news. This day couldn't get any better.