My New Beginning

The following day after some well earned sleep Newt took me on a tour around my new home.

"Welcome to the Glade Green Bean, each section has different jobs that you will test out to see which one you are best at. You can be a cook, builder, runner, med-jack, slicer etc." he explained to me.

"What the heck is a slicer" I questioned

"You don't want that job trust me!" He informed me  

I was in awe by the giant walls that I had seen just a day earlier. I went over to touch them while Newt was talking to a bitter Alby about some sort of gathering thingy. I got curious and took a step beyond the wall and was instantly reprimanded. "You CANNOT go outside those walls do you understand me?!" Alby screamed. I didn't understand but I wasn't in the mood for arguing.

***

After our full tour we headed back to the main building, appropriately dubbed the Homestead. It was lunch time and I was starving because I hadn't eaten since... well I can't remember. I walked into the mess hall and was greated with the lovely smell of boy. Needless to say it's not that lovely. My mind remembers back to when I first met Alby. I sort of remember him saying something about me being the only girl but it didn't really hit me until just now. I am literally the only person here with ovaries. I followed Newt to the counter where we grab our food. He introduced me to the cook, Frypan. By the time Frypan stopped drooling over the fact that I punched Gally and Alby, Newt had disappeared. 

Great. Just great. I knew absolutely no one and on top of that I was the only girl. Some boys staring hollering at me and yelling things like "hey sexy thing we got a seat just for you!". I casually flipped them off and made my way outside. I saw a chubby little boy sitting alone at a table. He seemed harmless enough. Just when I sat down his eyes become the size of Jupiter and he almost choked on his sandwich. 

"I'm Chuck" he said after composing himself. "I heard that you tied up Gally and then punched Alby!" 

"Ummm I guess. I don't really remember it honestly. I just recall being scared out of my mind, but don't tell anyone." I wanted to keep this facade I had accidentally created intact. Chuck talked for a while but I didn't really pay attention, I was just glad to finally get something in my stomach. Just a few moments after Chuck finished his 3rd story on who-knows-what a group of sweaty boys came in through the wall doors. I was dumbfounded. How come they can go beyond the doors but I can't! 

Chuck seemed to have read my mind, "They're runners" he said, "you don't get to try out for that job, they pick you." We finished our meal in silence as I kept thinking about runner and the Glade and where I knew Newt from.