Chapter 1

"Happy birthday to you!" Sang a happy chorus of the people Laura loved most. They were all her to celebrate her sixteenth birthday with her.

"Halfway to thirty two!" Teased her humorous father.

"Well you're halfway to ninety!" Laura teased back.

Her life was happy and full, despite the cancer eating away at her insides.

Doctors told her she wouldn't live long, but she was skeptical. She always believed she would grow up someday to be a pretty young woman who would meet the man of her dreams who would marry her. They would have three kids together- two girls and a boy. Alaina, Katrina, and Marcel. The love of her life would be tall with deep green-blue eyes and dark, sharp features.

Laura was in remission because the doctors told her they couldn't kill the cancer. Despite this, Laura prayed for a miracle and a long, happy life.

"What are you waiting on?" Asked her mom. "Blow out your candles!"

Although Laura wanted the man of her dreams and a long, happy life, Laura made a different wish. It was the thing she wanted to most. She shared it with her mom, hoping she would allow her wish to come true. "Remember my wish?" Laura would always remind her. "Yes," her mom would say, "I remember."

After she closed her eyes and made her wish, Laura blew out her sixteen candles.

"Whoo!" Everyone cheered.

Laura was happy to be home instead of in a hospital room. Everyone was kind to her, but it got lonely, being cooped up in there. She much preferred to be home.

Laura smiled, thinking about all of the good in her life and thinking about her wish. She was confident it would come true, no matter how long it took.