LETTERS AND LUCK

After my embarrassing and horrifying encounter with Sirius Black, I decided I could afford skipping classes that afternoon.

Charlotte offered to stay with me, but, as a first year, she couldn't miss class. She was only starting her education, she needed all the time, education and knowledge she could get.

Instead of going to my dormitory and probably crying my eyes out, I went to the library and searched on eyes, hair and skin changing spells.

Which took an extra hour, since I didn't know where exactly the library was.

But the spells Black had used... those weren't as hard to find. Liked, he had used basic spells- he probably didn't want to use more advanced spells, because I highly doubted he was anything near dumb. I couldn't believe I hadn't recognized the spells right away.

After, my skin and hair were back in place, I decided to go back to the dormitory and just sleep the entire afternoon. My restlessness was however, put into second place, as I entered my room and saw a brownish owl waiting. A brownish owl I had never seen in my entire life.

When she saw me, she started hooting and I approached her, taking the three letters she was bringing which were probably for me. My heart sunk as I saw that the first letter had the Potter crest waxed on it. Quickly, I tore it open and read it. It was from Mrs. Potter:

'Dear Lily,

I hope you're faring well in school. I was talking to your parents yesterday when I accidentally mentioned Hogwarts. They told me you were a witch as well!

I'm sending you this letter to invite you to James Birthday ball at the end of November. He's becoming of age and we're thinking of doing something big! Your sister is coming as well and you're allowed to bring a guest.

Anyway, hope you can come! Talk with James for details, dear.

Doreah Potter.'

My heart thumped crazily as I re-read it. I was sure Mrs. Potter had no idea of who her son really was in school: a disgusting coward. I couldn't stop the venom that was starting to run through my veins every time I thought of him.

And now there it was, his mother inviting me to his birthday. Well, I wasn't going. There was no way in hell I'd be giving him the chance to humiliate me. Again.

I dropped Mrs. Potter letter's on my bed as I sat down, the others still in my hand. A warning thought ran through my head: if Mrs. Potter knew I was a witch, then so did my parents know James was a wizard... and so did Petunia...

But why was I worrying about that? Hadn't I decided James Potter was a disgusting coward I never wanted to see again? Still, I couldn't shake the feeling in my chest every time I thought about him and Petunia together...

Petunia.

In that moment I just guessed who one of the other letters was from. Of course it was from her...

I quickly looked at it and, sure enough, I saw my sister's neat writing. I opened it.

'Lily,

I can't believe you didn't tell me James was a wizard! I had perfection next to me and I didn't even know it!

I bet you wanted him all to himself, probably to give him some sort of venom to make him yours! You wished! With that nerdy attitude, he'll never even think twice. Besides, did you see how he looked at me? He's so head over heels for me.

By the way, did you notice how my English improved? Mum and dad are really proud.

Anyway, just writing to tell you to keep your hands off my boyfriend. I'm just sorry he can't leave school right away... I'd love to see him. Either way, Doreah told me to send him a letter with this same owl, so it won't be long before he knows I'm willingly to be his girlfriend.