❤Chapter 2- The Ruins❤

DipperPOV

I stared in awe as the woman helped me up, and Mabel, whos always cheerful, was grinning from ear-to-ear at her, bouncing up-and-down impatiently.

"What a terrible creature... Tourtuing such poor, innocent youth..." I backed away a little, scared out of my skin. "Ah, do not be afraid, my child. I am Toriel, caretaker of the Ruins. I pass through here everyday to see if anyone has fallen down. You are the first humans to come here in a LONG time. Come! I will guide you through the catacombs."

Toriel turned, and started to pad away from us, gesturing for us to follow, murming a soft "This way." Mabel bounded to her side as if she was her loyal dog, making her give a little laugh. I trailed not far behind, thoughts running through my mind. Unlike Flowey, I felt... Safe... Around this "Toriel." She didn't seem to want to cause any harm.

Toriel led us to another room, where she had begun to wait patiently for us to join her. But what caught both of our attentions was a beautiful glimmering star that shone from the bottom of the staircase that Toriel had waited on. Mabel, fascinated by the light even more than what i was, reached out to touch the satr, and instantly another screen popped up, making me feel stronger once more, and telling us: "The shadow of the Ruins looks above, filling you with determination. HP fully restored."

With more energy than before, Mabel and I dashed up to meet Toriel, and she lead us into the next room. A series of 6 stones were laid on the left, not far from a switch, and a closed locked door was dead ahead. The goat walked to step on the 4 outer stones, pulling the switch afterwards. The door unlocked, and shifted open. "Welcome to your new home, innocent ones. Allow me to educate you on the RUINS. The RUINS are full of puzzles. Ancient fusions between diversions and door keys. One must solve them to move from room to room. Please adjust yourself to the sight of them."

We followed Toriel to the next room. Ivy was growing in patches on the walls, and 3 switches were laod out in a line. The path to the next room seemed a farther distance away, but it wouldn't take that long to reach there. "To make progress here, you will need to trigger several switches. Do not worry though, I will guide you through." Mabel dashed up to the switch nearest to us, labelled especially by Toriel, and she yanked it down with all of her strength. She grinned back at me as we started to walk side-by-side, Toriel following us from not far behind. Seeing that Toriel only wanted us to pull the switch that was on the path, i pulled it downwards, noticing that it was a lot tougher than it looked, because it had rusted and became stiffer with age. Toriel warmly smiled at us as the door slowly opened to the next room. "Splendid! I am proud of you, little ones. Let us move to the next room."

We walked through the entrance to find a room smaller, like the first one we passed through, but there was no puzzle to be seen, only a dummy and the next door. "As a human living in the UNDERGROUND monsters will try to take your SOUL. You will need to prepare for this situation. However, worry not! The process is simple. When you encounter a monster, you will enter a FIGHT. While you are in a FIGHT, strike up a friendly conversation. Stall for time. I will come to resolve the conflict. Practice talking to the dummy."

The both of us walked to the dumy at the same pace, and when we got close enough, a new screen appeared, and it was the FIGHT scene, just as Toriel described. There were four options: Fight, Act, Item, and Mercy. Choosing the Act button, and "Talk" soon after, the screen told us our status. The dummy didnt seem to understand what we said, but it made Toriel happier.

"Ah, very good. You are very good." Toriel beckoned us to follow her into the next room, which was longer, meaning there was a puzzle somewhere along the line. "There is another puzzle in this room... I wonder if you can find it...?"

We started to walk along the path that was laid out before us. It just seemed that the road kept stretching on and on for eternity, until-

We had returned to the FIGHT screen once more, but this time, a white, frog-like monster had encountered us, known as Froggit. Clicking the Act button, there was three options to react to the Froggit instead of 2:

Check
Compliment
Threat

Thinking about which act button would please Toriel the most, i clicked "Compliment," and the Froggit blushed deeply at my words. Dang... Why can't I make Wendy do that?  Jumping back to reality, i had notcied we were out of the fight scene, and Toriel had scared away Froggit.

We kept walking until i saw a spiked bridge. There was no way around it, and Mabel looked up at the she-goat with confusion. "Um..."

"This is the puzzle, but... Here, take my hand for a moment." taking one of our small and tiny hands in her large, furry ones, she walked straight for the bridge, and the spikes magically pressed down beneath us as we walked on them.  As we reached the end of the bridge, she looked down at us, murming "Puzzles seem a little dangerous for now," before leading us to one of the next room.

Worry glazed the goat's eyes as she released her grip on mine and Mabel's hands, staring at the path ahead. "You have done excellently thus far, my child. However... I have a request of you..." she closed her eyes and swallowed before taking a step forward. "I would like for you to walk to the end of this room by yourself. Forgive me for this..." she whispered as sped off, leaving us alone once more.

"So i guess move forward?" i ask myself out loud more than to Mabel, as i shakily stepped forward. Slowly picking up pace, we started walking through the path, passing by several patches of ivy, and a couple pillars. Then we made it. I was about to reach out for the door when the pillar started to speak, but in a familar voice.

"Greetings, my child." a sigh of reif swept over me and Mabel as Toriel appeared from the great white statue. "Do not worry, i did not leave you. I was merely behind this pillar the whole time. Thank you for trusting me... However, there was an important reason for this exercise... To test your independence. I must attend some buissness and you must stay alone for a while.... Please remain here. Its dangerous to explore by yourself. I have an idea! I will give you a cell phone. If you have any trouble, or a need for anything, just call me." she handed the phone to me before smiling one more time. "Be good, alright?"