Chapter One - Beginnings

The crowd cheered wildly as Belle Dheai and her challenger, Vlad, clashed swords. The torch-lit arena was filled with the faint smell of blood. All the people gathered there surrounded the two fighters. They were competing to win the 'Unbreakable Silver Sword' crafted by Aulë in the First Age. There was only one in existence, and Belle was about to win it. There wasn't a doubt in her mind about that. Though Vlad's pride was strong, it wasn't enough to beat Belle's aggressive attacks. These warriors were the best of the best, if the tournament leaderboards said anything about that. Tension hung in the air as still as death during this final battle.

The taller man spat out a tooth: battered and bruised, "You can never beat me. You're just a weak little girl!" Vlad said to Belle in disgust as he raised his two-handed sword to strike down on the woman.

Quickly, Belle brought her dwarven blade up to block his attack, but the powerful blow struck her to the ground. Blood rippled down the woman's soft, pale forehead. The crowd held their breath as did the lady when Vlad pushed down harder against her blade. "You're frail, look at you! Feel like giving in?"

"Not just yet!" Belle yelled as she kicked as hard as a mule at his shin and sent his sword to the other side of the arena. The man toppled over and sprawled backwards as the woman slowly stood up in a glorious comeback. The crowd went wild.

Vlad's eyes widened as Belle pointed her sword at his throat. "Sorry, I didn't hear you. I don't take advice from rats." Belle thundered, venom lacing her voice. Vlad quickly shook his head in fear.

"The warrior lady won!" a small child in the crowd shouted out happily. The mother of the child hushed the small boy in embarrassment.

"She hasn't won yet, laddie. She must knock him out," the father of the boy whispered.

Before Vlad could grab the hidden dagger in his boot, Belle kicked him hard against his head: his skull obviously fractured. The people cheered as he fell unconscious to the ground.

A short elder lady pushed through the dense crowd, and stopped in front of Belle. She handed her a beautiful silver sword. A hush fell upon the usually loud audience as Belle held it in her hands. The sword seemed to glow as she skillfully twirled it. She was surprised at how well it was made. It was very light, and cut quite nicely through the air. This would help her greatly in future battles.

Now that the competition was finally over, people started departing from the scene. Belle looked up as she sat on a bench near the dusty arena. The sky was filled with the radiant colors of sunset. The dwarf reflected as she gazed upon the brilliant blade. She was tired, and over all, famished, but had nowhere to rest her head. She never remained in one place for a long amount of time. Belle thought that if she settled down in one place for too long, then people would discover her secret. So this is how she was living her life; on the road with no home so that she wouldn't hurt anyone she got too close to.

The rolling of thunder broke her thoughts. A rainstorm was coming in as it always does in Bree, so she had to find some shelter for the night. Though she won something beyond fame could buy, her purse was nearly empty. She rolled her eyes. Belle always hated the dingy place, but it looked like she would have to stay the night at the Prancing Pony Inn.

As the sun fell behind the misty mountains, grey clouds darkened the sky. Belle pulled the hood of her cloak over her head as rain drops began to fall. She quickly rushed to the silent town hidden behind the rolling hills.

The rain was now beating hard on Belle's back as she walked into town. Mostly everybody was inside their homes, eating their supper. She was very hungry after the exhausting battle against Vlad and the others in the tournament.