Chapter 3: Not your Fault

Chapter 3

            “Sherlock’s as sloppy as ever I see,” OI joke upon entering the flat.  It definitely had the Sherlock touch…and by that I mean papers and other junk littered each room and experiments were tucked away in the oddest of places.

            John chuckled and nodded in agreement, but Sherlock looked offended as her watched me explore the flat.  “I don’t bother cleaning because cleaning is boring,” he grumbled, frowning at me.  “You k now that perfectly well Lills.”

            “Yes, yes.  And you can’t be bothered with anything boring.”  I rolled my eyes at me old friend and sat down on the couch. 

            Sherlock seemed to be internally struggling before blurting out, “That’s my sofa.  Nobody else sits there.”

            “Sherlock!  That is incredibly rude,” John scolded his flat mate, but I merely giggled up at my old friend. 

            “Think about it logically, Sherlock.  There are three of us here and only this sofa and armchair.  Now, unless you plan on having either John or I stand all evening, you will have to share the sofa with one of us.”  I had to really focus on not laughing at Sherlock’s reaction to this.  He had a look of total concentration on his face, as though working out a particularly puzzling case, before finally sighing and nodding and agreement.  John plopped himself down in the armchair and Sherlock perched himself on the sofa next to me.  “So what have you been up to since we last saw each other?” I asked Sherlock.

            “The usual: keeping myself from being bored,” he stated simply.

            I smiled warmly at him.  “And by the usual I assume you mean crime solving, experiments, and cigarettes.”

            “I don’t smoke anymore,” he replied, pushing up his sleeve to reveal the nicotine patch on his forearm.

            “Neither do I,” I said brightly, showing him the matching patch on my arm. 

            “So what have you been doing?” Sherlock asked, though he seemed to be only mildly interested.

            “Well I work as a journalist now, covering crime stories.  Have been ever since I graduated university--”

            “Yes, yes, I know that already,” Sherlock cut me off.  “I’ve kept up on reading all of your articles.  They are actually quite good.”       

            I frowned slightly at him.  “Well don’t ask to hear what I’ve been up to if you already know all of it.  Anyway, I’ve pretty much been working for the paper.  I’ve traveled quite a bit for my job too.  Besides that, I’ve been in a couple of relationships…clearly not very good ones based on tonight’s events.”

            “The pool with Moriarty?”  Sherlock looked confused. 

            “No Sherlock, the almost being beaten by my drunken now-ex-boyfriend.  Well I best be going now if I’m to find anywhere to stay for the night.” I said wearily, standing up. 

            “No you don’t.  You’ll stay with us, of course; at least for tonight anyway.”  John insisted.  “I’ll go get your things from downstairs and set you up with a bed.”  With that, he stood up and left the flat, going downstairs.  John returned minutes later juggling all of my bags.  I took the one with my toiletries and towels and went into the bathroom.