Chapter 5: Old Lady

Chapter 5 Old Lady

            “Erm, hi Lilly,” Alex mumbled awkwardly, scratching the back of his head.  “What are you doing here?  I…ah, figured that after last night, you were…you know…leaving me.”

            “Alex, I am.  There were just a few things I had left here in my rush to go,” I answered, unconsciously leaning more towards Sherlock for protection as I spoke. 

            Unfortunately, this didn’t go unnoticed by Alex.  “And I see you’ve found yourself a new man, then,” he pointed out dejectedly. 

            “Alex, don’t be silly.  You know I’m not that cruel.” For some strange reason, despite what happened the previous night, I didn’t want Alex to think I had replaced him so quickly.  That would be just downright heartless…not really my nature.  “This is my old friend Sherlock Holmes.  Remember I told you stories about him and I growing up?  Well I, ah ran into him and his friend last night on my way home and that’s why I was late.” 

            “Oh, this is Sherlock?  Um, hi mate, I’ve heard a great deal about you,” he awkwardly extended his hand to Sherlock who did not accept it, but merely stared at Alex.

            “Funny, because I’ve heard almost nothing about you except that you seem to beat women.”  Alex stared back at Sherlock, starting to get his nerve back.  It seems he had noticed Sherlock’s height and silent strength because Alex straightened up in an attempt to look more impressive.

            Sensing the tension in the room thickening rapidly, I picked up one of the brown boxes.  “Well, we’re, ah, just on our way out.  If I forgot anything else, let me know; you have the number.  If not, then I guess this is goodbye Alex.”  Sherlock picked up the remaining two boxes and followed me out of the flat.  Once back down on the street I hailed a cab and the two of us got in.

            “The Landmark London Hotel, 222 Marylebone Road,” Sherlock told the cabbie.

            I looked at my friend wide-eyed and horrified.  “Sherlock!  Why the hell are we going there?”

            “Earlier you said you needed a place to stay until you find a new place.  You’re going to stay there.”

            “I can’t afford to stay there Sherlock.  One or two nights, maybe, but I have no idea how long it’ll be until I find a place and I really don’t plan on hotel hopping,” I frowned at him.

            “Good thing you won’t be paying for it then.”

            “Oh no you don’t, buddy.  You are not paying Lord knows how much for me to stay in some fancy five-star hotel.  I’ll stay in like a Marriot and pay for it myself.”

            He looked at me curiously.  “Mmm, no.  You’re staying at the Landmark London.  I’m keeping you close after what happened yesterday.  I now know that Moriarty knows about you so, until I catch him, you’re staying close to me.”

            “Aw look at you being all protective!” I gushed, jokingly, and kissed Sherlock’s cheek, figuring there was no point in arguing once Sherlock had his mind set.  At this point, we had arrived at the hotel and, taking my few boxes, Sherlock and I entered the lobby.  One look at the place was enough to send my head reeling.  “Nope, nope, I’m not staying here Sherlock.  There’s no way in hell I’m letting you pay for something this fancy.”  I turned on the spot and tried making my way to the door, but Sherlock grabbed my arm.