Chapter 16: Your Human is Showing

Some time in the early hours of the morning I felt Sherlock lay in bed next to me. I rolled over into his embrace and reveled in his arms around my waist. Burying my head in his chest I smiled brightly. Sherlock kissed the top of my head gently “Go back to sleep Lils,” he mumbled into my hair.

“But I'm awake now,” I responded with a yawn, looking up into his face. He wore a slight frown.

“It's late.”

“You never sleep anyway.”

“That's—” he tried to argue but realizing there was no convincing argument he could make he chose instead to press his lips firmly to mine. “Go to sleep.”

“No,” I shrugged and rolled over so that I was on top of Sherlock and proceeded to kiss the man under me. He winced slightly when he moved to grab my hips and I quirked an eyebrow. It was then that I noticed a wet spot on the arm of Sherlock's shirt. “Sherlock!” Ripping off his shirt I came face-to-face with a white bandage stained red with blood wrapped around his right arm. “What happened?” I whispered, touching his arm gingerly.

“Don't worry, Lils. It's nothing.”

I shook my head and looked him dead in the eyes. “No Sherlock, that is not nothing. What happened?”

“A bullet grazed my arm while I was chasing the Reichenbach thief. I now know where the paintings are, so it will all be over with soon.”

“Yeah so either you get the paintings back or you get shot again? Don't you think that's a little risky?!” I asked, nuzzling into his neck. I kissed his collar bone gently and he groaned softly before answering.

“I'll be fine Lils. Tomorrow I'm going in with John, Lestrade, and the others. I just needed to make sure my hypothesis was correct today before bringing everyone in.” He brushed some stray hair out of my face and kissed my cheek.

“Sherlock...”

Sleep.

I sighed and rolled carefully off of him, making sure not to disturb his injured arm. “Promise you'll be smart about it. And by smart I mean don't do something to get yourself hurt.”

“I knew what you meant.”

I smiled and nudged him gently. “I didn't want some smarmy comment about intelligence levels. I'm being serious. I'd like to have a living boyfriend when I come home tomorrow.”

Sherlock wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me so that my back was against his chest. “Go to sleep.”

“Promise me.”

“Fine I promise, now sleep. You have work in the morning,”