( 7 )

7 -  i r r i t a t i n g  / /  d e l a n e y 

          THIS was just too horrible to be true.

        I could tell from the minute I woke up this morning, that today wasn't going to go good for me. What, with the terrible memories and having to go to work and deal with an insanely quiet and annoying co-worker and now this. 

         I mean I wasn't the best at trying to stay positive; but the policy here at the 'The Chill' was that we made our customers feel good and chilled and all that stuff. And I'd tried with all the other customers, plastering a smile -- however fake -- unto my lips as I took their orders and later served them, maintaining that smile in spite of how tired and irritated I was. I just couldn't believe that now I'd have to act all sugary sweet to none other than idiot boy from yesterday. I really hated irony. 

     As soon as my hazel eyes met his dazzling blue ones, I knew straight away it was the brunette guy from the previous day and I had a mini heart attack as I set about trying to figure what to do as I averted my gaze almost immediately. I tried to make a run for it, tried to hide in the back, but no. Luck as usual, was not on my side.

        My boss, Mrs. Woods,  just had to be lurking around at that very moment and insisted that I should serve their table because I apparently knew how 'awkward' Brayden was around other guys because he got taunted in school for his geek-ish ways. So he got special treatment and I didn't? I'd gone through way worse. Probably.

    I had reluctantly agreed and grabbed my apron before fastening it around my waist once more. I took a deep breathe and with a sigh, I approached the dreaded table, my notepad and pencil clutched tightly in my grip as I forced a smile to my now dry lips.

     I avoided all eye contact but I could still feel his intense gaze on me, trying to figure out if he recognised me. Maybe he wouldn't and I wouldn't have anything to worry about? I mean, from what I had gathered yesterday, he probably had the attention span of a gold-fish.

        With this thought in mind, I turned to look at his face and the knowing smile on it crushed all the hope I had; he probably had recognised me. I took another deep breathe and calmed myself and looked away from him and averted my gaze to another guy sitting at the table, who was vaguely familiar as I'd seen him here a couple of times.

      "Good afternoon and welcome to 'The Chill', I'm Delaney and I'll be your waitress..." I chirped softly, trying to keep my cool and channel my 'inner cheerleader' to help keep as cheery as possible. The group of boys -- five of them -- told me their orders and I scribbled them down hastily before I turned to leave but -- of course -- it couldn't end here.

       "Um waitress, where's the toilet?" I heard his familiar voice say and I turned on my heel to face him once more; wanting to slap the stupid grin right off his smug face -- I knew he was trying to annoy me. He knew that simply his presence here irritated me and he was taking full advantage of that.

       "Right over there" I replied through gritted teeth, pointing the HB pencil in my hand in the direction of the counter that had a small hallway beside it that led to the toilets and his forehead wrinkled in mock confusion.

         "Um...there?" he said, pointing in the completely opposite direction, the fake look of confusion still plastered onto his face.  I felt like I was going to explode but I refrained from snapping at him. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that he was getting to me.

       "No, it's over there..." I responded, pointing in the right direction and he sighed, shaking his head as he continued to pretend that he didn't understand me. His four other friends at the table tried to hide their smirks and sniggers. I figured that they were used to this, whatever this was and that annoyed me even more. I really hated the policy here.