2. Goldie Locks

At the end of the day Susan came up to Jean.

"I'm impressed with you, Jean. I'm glad I decided to hire you," she smiled.

"Thank you for giving me this chance, Susan. You really saved my ass," he let out a nervous chuckle.

"Oh it's no problem," she blushed tucking her baby pink hair behind her pierced ear. "We should grab a bite sometime."

Jean smiled flirtatiously, "I'd love that."

Susan blushed once again and left the cafe. Jean pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a long sigh. He can't go through this again. Not only was his previous engagements a failure, but Jean felt as if he couldn't stand girls anymore. They no longer interested him, sexually, in the least.

"Maybe I am gay?" he thought to himself out loud.

His eyes widened and he flew back embarrassed. "Hell no, there is no way! It's unnatural and disgusting to like guys!" he shouted out.

Jean grabbed his day clothes and rushed out the cafe, after locking it of course. Only a few minutes later he was outside of his parents house. Since Jean lived there for now, he just walked in. Gwen sat on the couch reading a book. Not even bothering to look up she knew it was Jean.

"You've been gone for five hours. You haven't killed anyone have you? Or perhaps you've found another girl, and you were getting 'aquatinted' with her," she inquired.

"No, as a matter of fact I found myself a job."

Gwen looked up shocked, "Well-well Mr. Fancy Pants, look at you all gussied up."

Jean smiled proudly, as his dad walked in.

"Jean take off that ridiculous outfit," he scolded.

"Well fuck you too. Maybe I'll just get my own place. I do have a job now, you know?"

"You do that. In the mean time do something productive, like make supper for example," his dad retorted, leaving the room.

Jean inhaled annoyed and walked into the kitchen. About 46 minutes later he had made spaghetti and garlic bread. They sat around the table. His mom began to say prayer and everyone closed their eyes and bowed their heads, well everyone but Jean.

Jean wasn't big on religion. He didn't understand why people relied on an imaginary being in the sky. He thought it was a waste of time.

After dinner Jean headed off to shower, then to bed he went. He had work at 6 tomorrow so he needed his sleep.

~~~

Jean had been working at the cafe for about a month now, and he was enjoying it there.

He woke up early one morning and made breakfast for him and his sister, since his parents were already at work. He brushed his teeth and put on his job attire. And before heading out, Jean threw on his coat and stopped in front the mirror and fluffed his hair a bit.

He stepped outside and snow blanketed him.

"Shit," he mumbled, "it's only going to get worse too."

Jean zipped up his coat and nuzzled the lower half of his face into the warm material. Once he made it to work he turned on the heater. Susan wasn't there yet, but maybe that was a good thing. Jean put his coat on the rack and warmed up the machines. About ten minutes later, Susan came running in.

"Jean, I'm sorry I was late. I couldn't leave my driveway because of all this snow."

"It's fine," he weakly smiled, "I've already got the basics done. Can you sweep though, I haven't had a chance yet?"

"Oh sure thing," she breathed grabbing the broom.

Even though Jean's been working there for less than a month, it seemed like he owned the place. He was always the first one there and got things done before asked, or before they knew they needed to be done. Jean was a natural at his job!

Susan began sweeping and Jean wiped off the counters and tables. A few minutes later the door chimed and Armin walked in.

Armin has been coming in regularly for the past month. Only lately had he begun starting to have small conversations with Jean. Like the weather for example.

"Good morning, blondie," Jean said cheerfully. "Hot chocolate again?"

"Uh, maybe a black coffee today," he spoke silently.

"Sure thing, dare devil," Jean flirted playfully. "It'll be right up."

Armin smiled, thanked him, and went to sit in his corner chair.

Jean went to the back room to grab more coffee grains. As he went and reached for the bag, his balance slipped and he toppled down to the ground. Quickly, Jean rose up, collected himself, and grabbed the bag. He came back about ten minutes later with Armin's coffee.

"I'm sorry it took so long," Jean apologized abruptly. "Coffee malfunction."

"Oh, it's fine really," Armin spoke quietly. "No harm done, right."

"Heh, right. So how you doing, Armin?"

"Good, no great actually." Armin said sarcastically, raising his voice. "All these colleges pelting me with emails and letters, pretty much begging me to give them a chance. I literally just got out of possibly the best relationship ever. And my parents-" his voice cracked, "my parents are breathing down my neck to get a job. I'm so stressed out right now, I don't know what to do honestly."

"I don't know what to do about the colleges honestly, I never attended," Jean confessed. "However, since it's also the parents I can help. I can talk Susan into getting you a job here. That might help, right?" Jean purposely avoided the comment about his relationship, since he'd be no help to him, considering his past relationships.

"Thanks, Jean."

Armin, for awhile now, has had a little crush on his waiter. He didn't know how it happened. There just was something about how Jean looked you in the eye when he talked to you, or about how he walked with the confidence Armin didn't have. Maybe it's because Jean's the only person in this town who'd actually hold a conversation with him. However, unfortunately, there was an age difference. No, it was not very drastic, but to Armin seven years was a lot. He wasn't even legal to drink yet! Plus, being 18 also means that he had just graduated high school.

Jean and Armin held on and off conversations about the weather and music, until Susan was about to leave the shop.

"Hey, Susan!" Jean called out.

"Yes, Jean?"

"Do you think you could uh- possibly consider Armin working here?" She opened her mouth to object, but Jean cut her off. "Just listen to me okay? Armin's parents are giving him a really hard time, and it'll be a great experience for him to work out in the world."

Susan sighed. "Fine, Jean, but if you or him fucks this up," she threatened, "I'll have your head and your job."

"Understood, boss."