Chapter 20- Our reunion (split P.O.V.)

the story's winding down yayy. enjoy this chapter

Chapter 20- Our reunion

Shane’s P.O.V.

Two months later

“Shane?” I sat up and looked for the owner of the voice. It was Lizzie, as always, holding out a plate of food. I shook my head. I was simple not hungry. The doctor had said some pretty great stuff three days ago. He said that Zander was definitely going to wake up soon. He was responding to simulation. I think the other day, I was holding his hand, and he squeezed back. I looked other at him. He was getting his color back, and most of his bruises had healed. His leg was broken, his ribs were still healing, and his wrist was still fractured. He sprained his neck too, but that had healed faster than the rest.

“You’ve got to eat sometime.” I shook my head. “Not until he wakes up.” She sighed and sat on the chair next to me. “And what if that’s not today?” She asked me, setting the plate on the end side table. I shrugged. “Then I won’t eat today.” I’m pretty sure I was getting on her bad side. These whole two weeks all I’ve done is cry and vent to her. She knows me almost as well as Zander does now. And, also, I had helped Zander’s mom move in to their house. There was definitely tension, considering the fact that I knew she was cheating on Max and she hadn’t been to visit Zander. But, I got through it, and everyone else did too. I wanted so desperately tell Max, but I didn’t want to be a home-wrecker. She was starting to show, and I didn’t want her to lean too much upon her ex-husband. She didn’t deserve that at least, right?

“You’re stubborn.” She commented, texting someone, again. She was always on her phone, and it offered no comfort. It never did. I looked at Zander’s face again. God he was beautiful. I’d always loved his eyes the most. And even though I’ve not seen them in a while, I still remembered the grey with flecks of amber. I remembered his long lashes against my cheeks. And I missed that, and I almost lost it. I almost lost it all. All of him.

I was getting a bit nostalgic here, but I didn’t think I was in the wrong. I had so many memories with him, so many dreams. We both wanted to travel. He told me he’s never been anywhere but New York, London, and Illinois. I’ve been to a lot of places. Even Japan once, for my AP Japanese class. But that was like three years ago. We both wanted to finish school with 4.0 GPA’s. I bet he could, if he was focused.

I ran my hand down the side of his face. His skin felt warm to the touch, and I smiled to myself. We’d talked about what we’d do if we lasted through-out this year. We had settled on moving far away from here. Attend a four year college, work shitty jobs to barely scrape by. Maybe get a studio apartment and work on having sex on every surface. That last bit was his idea. But, I loved it. I loved him. He’d make it. He had to. Who else was I supposed to grow old with? The only downside of this all, I think, is not having kids. I’ve always liked kids, personally. They are cute. But, Zander, not so much, I don’t think he ever thought about having kids, and I guess that’s why he’s gay.

“Shane.” I looked other to Lizzie. She pointed towards the door. I was shocked to see Connor. Lizzie got up and left the room when he walked in, staring at Zander. “Is he going to wake up?" He asked me. I nodded. “Yeah, hopefully. Why are you here?” I asked him, trying not to sound rude. He shrugged. “I don’t know. I wanted to make sure the kid was okay. People at school are passing around a video someone took of him jumping. We’re all worried. Half the school hates him though. And you haven’t been going lately.” I saw that video, and I cried. Instead of calling 911, the person was recording. Assholes these days. “He’s fine. And, yeah, I saw the video.” He nodded. “How are you, Shane?” I looked at him. He sighed and sat down next to me. “Okay, I know I screwed up things with you and I, and you’ve moved on to someone who deserves you most, but I’m worried about you. You’ve been moping ever since he jumped. And you don’t come to school. And when you do, you end up skipping or playing sick in the infirmary.”