Chapter Eleven

Swiftly Emily moved through the studio towards the elevator thanking people for their congratulations on her newest award and many nominations. Christmas with her family had been perfect everything Emily had expected. They stopped by a local mission on Christmas Eve to feed the homeless and Emily’s Christmas dinner came out perfect like usual. New Years had been spent in New York where Emily had performed before hurrying back to Los Angeles where Emily won a People’s Choice Award for favorite song. Now she was in the middle of award season and final countdown for the wedding.

     “David,” Emily called.

     “Kitchen,” David said over pots and pans clanging.

     “I thought we discussed that you’re not aloud to cook in my kitchen.”

     “I’m not cooking I’m creating.”

     “You’re making a royal mess,” Emily laughed kissing him.

     “My mother called about your mother again,” he sighed.

     The last thing Emily wanted to talk about was her mother especially while she was sober. Marry had popped her head in around Christmas time for another one of her rants and David was there to witness. When the announcement had been made only Adam had released a statement and the whole family had been asking about Marry now David had the answer.

     “Lets not think about it tomorrow are the Golden Globes,” Emily suggested.

     “I’ll just lie and say she’ll come around,” David said.

     “Works for me,” Emily said kissing him.

     “Okay gross,” Jessie said walking in.

     “I’m sorry do I know you are you Jessie the girl who used to be here all day every day?”

     “I know but I’m here now and just in time to order pizza it looks like.”

     Jessie took a look at the stove and the mess David was making, immediately she knew take-out was their best friend. Happily Emily gave Jessie the take-out menus while David began cleaning up his gigantic mess. Sitting around the theater watching some of the movies nominated they passed around pizza and bread stick boxes. The next day was going to be a long so they were all taking it easy.

     Happily the next morning Emily walked downstairs to chocolate chip pancakes an award show ritual. Sitting in the breakfast nook with David and Jessie she relaxed before her glam team arrived to start the day. Sitting through hair and make-up first Emily slipped into a gorgeous orange gown with a ruffled v-neck and semi comfortable high heels. Hurrying out to the car service Emily finally started to feel nervous about the night and the possibility of her winning.

     The traffic on Hollywood boulevard was ridiculous but as soon as Emily stepped out into the eighty-degree heat she wished she were back in the car. David and Emily walked the carpet together waving to screaming fans and posing for tons of pictures. Around the halfway mark Emily stopped to do an interview with her favorite E! Personality Giulianna Rancic who looked gorgeous as always in a sleek sweetheart black gown.

     “I am here with Emily Branson who is wearing Emilio Pucci,” Giulianna smiled. “So who is the jewelry by?”

     “Swarovski my favorite,” Emily smiled, “except the ring.”

     “Congratulations by the way. Now you are nominated for the first time what is that like?”

     “It was an amazing process watching the music help the script come alive. I’m definitely ready for my next movie.”