Rustina

When I was 3, my parents divorced. My mother lived closer to the school district, so I lived with her most of the time. My father, who moved out into the country (as in far from the town, near the woods), had me and my two younger brothers every other weekend.

I had this dream since I was 3, until my 7th birthday.
On the nights it stormed at my dad's house, I always had the same dream. I would be at a carnival, eating sweets, lollipops, cotton candy, chocolates, you get the idea, with a girl named Rustina.

Rustina was pale, she had the darkest green eyes, and had black curls that were always in 2 pigtails. She was always wearing a blue and white checkered dress and a shiny silver button barrette. She was around 12.
She treated me like a little sister. If I ate too many sweets, she would scold me, and say that my father wouldn’t be happy. I had a little rag doll, Mary Ann, with blonde curls and a purple dress. Rustina always carried it around for me.

In the dream, we would always ride the Ferris Wheel together. I would start crying as I was always afraid of heights. But Rustina would hug me and tell me to shut my eyes.
We would get off and I’d be shaken up, and she’d grab my hand and give me a piggy-back ride to a bench, secluded from everyone else. Right after I’d sit down, all the noises of the rides, the laughing, screaming, yelling, talking, it all disappeared.

Rustina smiled at me and picked a white lily and would brush my hair back and put it behind my ear.
Then she would smile at me and hand me Mary Ann, then I would wake up, sweating, clutching Mary Ann.

On my 7th birthday, it was storming, but I had the dream. Only at the end Rustina started crying and said I was too old. I didn’t understand her, so I started crying too.

Rustina said she was going to keep Mary Ann, to remember me by, and took off her barrette and put it in my hair. Then she smiled at me and waved goodbye.
I woke up, it was morning, unlike the other times when I would wake up in the night. Mary Ann was gone. I never found her since, and I had Rustina’s barrette in my hair.

I never told anyone, and kept the barrette in my box of trinkets.
On my 8th birthday, somebody, we never found out who, left a bouquet of white lilies on our doorstep.

I had completely forgotten about Rustina over time. But I was babysitting my little sister recently, as my father had remarried and all. Now my baby sister started singing, "Rustina Rustina Rustina!"
Needless to say, I am currently scared out of my wits.