Chapter 6

Once the three of them had reached their destination Dylan took charge.

"You two wait here while I scout around to make sure that it is safe."

"I don't think that is necessary, I am sure that I will be able to find my way back from here."

Dylan shook his head and moved on ahead.

"I have not come all this way for you to be captured so keep your heads down until I get back."

It was quite some time before Dylan made it back and on a couple of occasions Maddie had contemplated saying goodbye to Lana there and then. The only thing that kept her from doing so was that she did not like the idea of leaving her in the woods at the edge of the village alone.

"For some reason there is quite a flap going on around here and there are Cadets from the 50th everywhere."

"Do you know what is going on?"

"No but it will be difficult for you to negotiate your way through them. The way you look is different and they will stop you on sight."

Maddie was determined to go on.

"You two go back and I will wait until dark before trying for home."

Dylan gave this some thought before coming up with his own plan.

"No that will not do, what you need is a distraction and we will provide it."

A stubborn Maddie knew that this was her best chance but still argued against it.

"I will not have you put yourselves in danger just to help me, now please go."

A big smile from Lana showed that she was not afraid and had no intention of leaving her friend.

"You saved me Maddie and now it is my turn to save you."

"No Lana they are looking for you and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you. I can't imagine you inside this Juvinescence place."

A loud blustering laugh issued forth from Dylan.

"Lana is only twelve years of age and Juvi is only for eighteen and above at worse Lana would be publicly flogged but more likely she would be given a work detail."

"Flogged what kind of barbaric world are you living in?"

Dylan looked offended now.

"We are living in a world that holds discipline and strength above all else. It is a world that I have called home all of my life and I doubt that your world is any different."

Lana jumped in between the two of them with the idea of changing the subject.

"I know this place well I have played here since I was little and I think that I could find a way through if Maddie were to agree to follow me."

Dylan was not letting go of his plan that easily.

"That could work but first we will set a little fire close to the Academy quarters and then we both follow Lana."

Maddie felt she had to point out one little thing.

"You have not given much thought to how you are getting back."

Dylan had a wild look in his eye as he ran from the cover of the trees.

"He is coming back isn't he?"

"Yes Lana he will be back after he has started his little distraction."

Reckless thought Maddie, the boy was acting like an adventurer with no responsibilities and had no business being the leader of anyone.