Chapter 10

While waiting to hear if it was safe for them to take their trip to see his friends. Maddie and John fell into a routine of sorts where he would rise in the morning to be greeted by his only two students, George and Lana. Although they were both enthusiastic, Lana lacked the discipline or aptitude to progress in the rigid structure of John's lessons.

"Maybe if you were to join us in the morning it would help Lana to focus."

"You might want to consider an afternoon class then I could continue with my beauty sleep."

John wanted to tell Maddie that she did not need any help to look beautiful but thought perhaps it better to step back a little for now.

"You would be helping your friend and I could use the support."

"Fine I will be there front and centre tomorrow morning."

Mornings were not Maddie's favourite time and she would much prefer to spend the time alone in her hut but she did not want to refuse John. So true to her word she turned up the next morning and gave it her all.

"Nice of you to join us this lovely morning, today we will be returning to the basics."

A groan from Lana did not go unnoticed by John.

"Yes Lana you heard me correctly we are revisiting the basics until we have perfected them."

"Fine just don't be surprised if I fall asleep at how boring your teaching is."

Maddie was enjoying the exchange between the two of them when George chipped in.

"Come on guys I have work to do later and time is getting on."

They practiced all of that morning with Maddie discovering that she was a natural and picked up John's techniques very quickly.

"That is enough for the day; I will see you tomorrow when we will concentrate on kicks and punches."

"'bout time we learned something useful."

Lana did like to be heard and with her non-stop chattering and cheery disposition she had become one of the most popular members of the camp.

"There really is no keeping that girl down is there?"

Maddie smile in agreement.

The following morning John was greeted by the sight of the whole camp waiting patiently for him.

"It seems we have a few new additions to the class and therefore we will return to the basics for their benefit."

John looked at Lana who appeared to be about to say something.

"Why are you looking at me I love the basics, I live for the basics, the basics are my life."

Maddie was trying her best not to laugh but it was Impossible not to be amused by the sassiness of her young friend.

"We shall continue, George come up here and follow my lead."

Once the class was over John came over to Maddie.

"You see how it is now? You take one class with me and they all follow your lead."

Maddie shrugged this suggestion off.

"Maybe but that does not mean they will follow me into a battle."

"Right now I think they would follow the lead of the girl in the black biker jacket anywhere."

Although the days that followed were pleasant and Maddie was enjoying spending time with John and her new friends, she always felt the spectre of the State breathing down her neck.