Chapter 23

Patrice's order for his Cadets to attack Maddie gave him the opportunity to escape from his inevitable defeat at his brother's hands. In the following confusion he slipped away with two of his most trusted men and made his way to the bowels of the justice building where Lissa and John were being held prisoner.

"Well Lysette it seems that Dylan has come to rescue you, how romantic a figure he must seem to you right at this moment."

"Dylan is a man while you are a snake and if he really is here then I hope that he puts you out of your misery for good."

"Such defiance from someone locked in a cage but then you always did have a rebellious streak just like my brother."

Dylan ordered his men to take Lysette out of the cage.

"Be careful; hold her tight she is very skilled."

The two men did as they were ordered and were very careful in their handling of Lissa.

"Make sure that you have her I want to enjoy this."

With both her hands tied behind her back and Patrice's men holding her tight Lysette could barely move at all.

"You feeling safe now Patrice?"

Patrice reached down inside his boot and produced a sharp blade which he then ran along Lissa's cheek neck.

"Do you like the feel of the cold steel Lysette?"

John had been watching from his cage.

"What the hell are you doing? If you hurt her I will kill you myself."

Lysette did not feel that she needed anyone to defend her.

"Don't worry John he does not possess the courage to do anything but threaten me and if Dylan is truly here then Patrice is already dead."

The sharp blade cut much deeper as Patrice sliced across her throat.

"You bastard I will make sure that you die for that."

Patrice ignored this threat from John as he watched the light dim from Lysette's eyes and she died in front of him.

"Let her go."

The two men that were now holding Lysette up did as they were told and she dropped to the floor like a stone.

"Your murderous bastard just let me out of here for a moment and I will tear your head off."

John's threats did not even seem to reach Patrice as he left without a backward glance.

"Come on let's get out of here I need to see the First Minister."

John was left in his cage helpless to help Lysette who was not moving and he suspected she was already lost to this world anyway.

"Sir the battle is lost there were too many of them and we have been over-run."

Jarod looked at his son with ill-disguised contempt.

"You could not stop an untrained rabble with disciplined troops at your command, you are a disgrace."

"We need to authorise the Statepol to finish them off, they are unarmed so it should be easy for them to be wiped out."

"You bloody fool don't you see it is too late for that? They have humiliated the Academies and now you want to have them shot by armed police, you never were very bright were you Patrice?"

"No sir I suppose Dylan would understand much better than his older brother your first born."

The rage was building up within Jarod Holt and if Patrice was not careful he would feel the full wrath of his father.