Chapter 14

Maddie told Dylan what happened when they arrived at the first check-point and waited for his response.

"You left Lissa and John to be taken by the 1st?"

"There was nothing else to be done if I had stayed then they would have us all and there would be no-one to take care of Lana."

"From what you have said Lana is most likely dead anyway and I would rather they had you than Lissa."

"Did you not hear me when I said we were betrayed? They knew we were coming."

"Stop talking now I need to think."

Dylan heard Maddie alright and difficult as it was to hear it was more difficult to think that Patrice would betray him like this.

"There is nothing to think about we need to get them back and quickly."

The outsider was talking nonsense there was no getting anyone back once they had been taken.

"How do you suggest we do that Maddie? Should we storm the Capital with our ragtag army of Imps?"

What was wrong with these people that they were ready to give up on the ones they loved so easily?"

"Yes Dylan if that is what it takes we do exactly that."

Jerome was listening intently to the conversation between Dylan and Maddie.

"Who is it that betrayed you Dylan?"

"That is yet to be established and when I find out you will be informed."

Jerome had the feeling that Dylan already knew who it was.

"If it is someone inside your camp then you need to deal with it as soon as possible."

Dylan was not about to take orders from a complete stranger and was in no mood to be diplomatic.

"They were in your territory when they were captured and it seems to me that you did nothing to protect them or warn them so I will not be lectured by you on the security of my camp."

Jerome was not a man to give up easily when he had a point to make.

"The only people that knew John was bringing Maddie back to us were you and others in your camp or am I mistaken?"

"We will discuss this when we are back and not before."

Maddie immediately thought of Dylan's contact in the Capital when Jerome asked this question.

"Dylan it may not be the right time to ask but could it be that when you contacted the city you gave away our plans?"

There it was she had asked the question that Dylan had been asking himself and the only answer that made sense was yes.

"As far as I am concerned Maddie you and John lost Lissa. That is all that I care about right now so do not speak to me and that goes for your friends too."

The silence on the way back to Dylan's camp was awkward bordering on the unbearable but Maddie was determined she would not be the one to break it.

"Maddie and you come with me to my hut."

Jerome followed Maddie into Dylan's large residence.

"I have a contact in the city as you know Maddie and I have thought about what you have said. Yes you are right I think that he may have been the one to inform on us."

Jerome jumped in straight away with both feet.

"Does this man know of your position here and the strength of your numbers?"