Chapter 24

It was time to leave that was clear but had she done enough? Maddie had long known how to find her way back the thing she was not sure of was had she eased the suffering of the people of Velaria?

There was only one way to find out and that was to call the number that she had seen in the paper that morning in Tumbledown cottage.

"223344 Tumbledown I want to come home."

At first there was silence until Maddie heard a familiar voice.

"That is lovely dear I will send Mr Didcot be outside the back of the Justice building presently."

Maddie was in awe at how easy that had gone and could only hope that leaving Justice would be just as easy.

"Can you tell me how to get out the back please?"

Why not just ask thought Maddie after all she was not a prisoner and there was no reason why anyone should stop her.

"Hello Maddie you made it all the way to the Capital I see."

It was Henry the old man from Dylan's camp who pulled up in a battered old jeep.

"Your Mrs Didcot's husband, why didn't you tell me?"

Henry smiled as he gestured her into the jeep.

"Not allowed I'm afraid it's against the rules and yes I am indeed Mrs Didcot's husband."

The drive out of the Capital did not seem to take as long as it should have and Maddie could not understand why.

"How did we get out of the City so quickly?"

Henry had a sparkle in his eye as he answered glibly.

"I know all of the shortcuts Maddie and we will be back at Tumbledown shortly."

"John tried to find his way back but he said that Tumbledown was gone."

A saddened look from Henry signalled to Maddie that he did not want to talk of John.

"I would have liked to say goodbye to Lana I will miss her."

"You have done more than enough for the people of Velaria and her life will be all the better for knowing you."

Maddie was not convinced that she had made anything better and did not want to think about it anymore.

"When we go back how long will I have been gone for?"

Henry had always been Impressed by Maddie but the fact that she was aware that time worked differently in both places really bowled him over.

"You will have been gone for a couple of days and that is all."

"I will make my way straight to my mother and when they find me I will tell them that I know nothing of what has happened to John."

Maddie could not face John's parents and could not give them answers anyway.

"I think that is best Maddie."

The walk through the back garden of Tumbledown was short and Maddie had to stop herself from looking back.

"Hello dear I am so pleased that you made it back so many others don't you know."

Maddie thought of Jasmine and John as Mrs Didcot greeted her.

"I know, I know only too well."

The couple looked at Maddie and said in unison.

"It is time to leave now Maddie and now that you are back Tumbledown will no longer exist as a gateway so there is no way for you to return to Velaria. We would both like to thank you for releasing us from our duties as guardians."

Maddie did not understand or care what the Didcot's were talking about all she wanted to do was be on her way to see her mother.

"Goodbye Henry."

Maddie left the Cottage by the front entrance as she had entered it and knew that she would never be the same again.

The End