Chapter 12

Ayesha's PoV

I have never been a bitter person. Even when it comes to Farhan. I sometimes act like a kid and spit sarcasm when I am with him.

But now, seeing Zain in the picture, I didn't know how to feel. I mean, I was angry at him that was for sure. But somehow, my anger wasn't prompting me to do anything about it. My mind was registering the option of treating him just like any other stranger. Which meant that I could accept him as a family member but not really care if he existed or not.

As Humeyra bounced off Farhan, she turned to look at me. In that moment, I realized that she looked alot like her mother. Same hair, same features. Only her eyes were a grey colour, like Ayan's.

She smiled widely and I returned it.

"Ayesha, right? Allah! I am so thrilled to finally meet you!" She all but screamed and dived forward to hug me.

I returned the hug laughing.

She let me go after a couple of minutes. "Oh you are so beautiful. I can't believe my bro became so lucky. I thought he would marry someone who wears glasses and has red hair." She laughed.

I smirked and bit my lip to stop myself from laughing.

"Thank you. I must say you are very very beautiful yourself." I replied, smiling kindly.

She looked at Zain and her mouth formed into an 'o' shape.

"Forgive me. I forgot to introduce my husband. Ayesha, this is my husband Zain and Zain, this is my sister-in-law Ayesha." She smiled, looking at Zain.

I quickly swung an arm around Farhan's arm and grabbed a hold of his bicep. I know he was looking at me all weirdly. But I was too busy having a stare down with Zain.

I knew things were going to become suspicious soon, so I tugged the corners of my mouth into the best fake smile I could form.

"Assalaamualaikum Zain. It's so nice to finally meet you. Aunty speaks really well of you." I said, tightening my grip on Farhan's bicep. I felt him go rigid beside me.

Not because I squeezed it too hard or anything but because my presence so close to him must be making him feel really unpleasent.

But right now I really needed to use my status as his wife.

Zain stretched his mouth into a forced smile, "Waalaikumasalaam Ayesha. Pleasent meeting you too. Humeyra has told me so much about you." He croaked. His face looked like he wanted to get away from here but at the same time felt like staying here some more.

I looked at Humeyra who had a happy smile on her face. Her face was so full of life that I felt sad for her. How could Zain marry someone for their riches just like that?

I released Farhan's arm and turned towards Humeyra.

"Humeyra, lets leave the men to talk among themselves. Let's go and join the bride." I offered.

Farhan and Zain's eyes never left me. I wondered if explaining the situation to Farhan was a good idea or not.

"You are right. Let them be. We shall go to Fatima." She smiled. I moved forward and both of us walked away from the two of them.

It got really stuffy in the hall about 20 minutes later. I really needed a whiff of fresh air, so I excused myself and walked out into the corridor.

I took a deep breath to calm down myself and let the cool light breeze hit me in the face.

My eyes fluttered shut as I exhaled.

"Peaceful, isnt it?" A voice behind me said.

I cringed because it belonged to Zain, of course. Why he was looking for a moment alone with me was beyond me. We had nothing to discuss.