Chapter 29

We start by boosting Luna and Scar out of the fence. They are followed by Fang and Lyn. Finally it's just me, Bas, and Erin. We start by getting Erin up and he pulls me up after him. It takes both of us to get Bas out of the fence. He's really heavy. By the time we get him over the hole in the wall the others are gone and I'm exhausted already.

Bas runs and Erin and I follow him. I think he knows where we are going. If he doesn't then I am following someone as useless as I am. A couples seconds later I hear a loud siren go off. I guess they figured out we are gone. Bas quickens his pace and we do the same. I feel the familiar burn of my muscles being used. I still hate running despite not being as horrible at it now.

"Ace hurry up! We have to move faster. They are going to send the Oranges and guards after us. Either move faster or we will leave you behind," Bas snarls at me. I can see true fear on his face. He doesn't want to get caught. Not that I can blame him.

As we run farther and faster I can hear not only my breaths but their breath quickening as well. I'm not exactly sure where we are going. If we can get to a town we can call the police. My feet catch on to a tree root. I slam onto the ground. I feel a sharp shooting pain as the bone in my arm gives way. I open my mouth to scream when a hand covers it. He lifts me up and pulls me along.

"You can't make noise. They will know exactly where we are if you do. Just keep walking and we will be okay," I look up at Erin as he speaks. I try looking at my arm but he grabs my chin to keep me from seeing it. It must be pretty bad. I try to keep a fast pace but my arm hurt. At least it wasn't my leg.

As my arm begins to feel numb I am able to move faster. I'm not sure about the numbness despite it feeling better than pain. Bas is farther ahead of us. Not so much that he can't be seen but not close enough for me to catch up. Erin still drags me with him by my uninjured arm. I run as fast as my legs can carry me to at least try to catch up with Bas. I still think he knows where we need to go. I look behind me for only a second to be sure no one is following us. I jump when I hear the sound of metal snapping together. I look forward to see Bas on the ground bleeding. His shout confirms his injury.

Erin and I fall on either side of him. His calf is stuck between two pieces of shrapnel. A bear trap. His leg is stuck in a stupid bear trap chained to the forest floor. His shouting is going to attract the guards and I'm not sure if we can get him out.

"I'l grab this side and you grab the other side. On three we pull it apart," I command. I have only one arm so I must use my foot to push on the other end. I count to three and we both pull. Slowly it pulls apart enough for him to rip his leg out. I let the tap snap shut. He groans in pain. His face is pale and drawn back in pain. Erin bends down and touches Bas's leg. At first I think there is hope for him to limp out of here then I see white bone sticking out of his leg. Erin looks at me and I can see the turmoil in his eyes. He may not like Bas but it doesn't mean he wants to leave him here.

"Leave me. I will only slow you down. Just do one small thing for me. Tell everyone about this place. Get help for those in here. I may not live long enough to see them free but some of them deserve it. We both know that the second they catch up to me they will kill me. They don't like it when we try to escape," he chuckles humorlessly. I can see actual sadness in his eyes until it turns mischievous. "Oh and one last thing", With that he leans forward and kisses me. It's a soft, gentle kiss meant to say goodbye. It may very well be his last one so I don't pull back. I kiss his forehead as I pull back.

He sighs and lays down onto the ground, accepting his fate. I wipe a tear from my eye and pick myself up off the ground. I pull my arm close to me and run. Erin doesn't have to drag me. I don't even feel my arm anymore. We run further into the woods needing to put distance between us and them.