24. Longing For Him

I was awakened by a voice other than Madera's. It was Victor, the man with whom Madera was speaking the day before. I tried to coax my eyes open, but they were crusted shut, most likely with blood from repeated injuries to my head, inflicted by the cruel pirate. I started to squirm, trying to get up, only to be reminded that my hands were still bound.

Victor uttered quiet, comforting things while he tended to my eyes. I jolted at the feeling of water being poured over them. I was desperate for the liquid to reach my mouth, but I couldn't get the words out of my throat. He rubbed a damp cloth over my eyes and I could finally pry them open, seeing the worn knees of brown trousers at my eye level.

He wiped my eyes clean and then carefully rolled me to the side and helped me to sit up. When I looked into his face, I recognized him. I was certain that he was a crew member on the Rebellion. But how? I was becoming more confused by the moment, and I began to wonder if my injuries and the lack of water were making me hallucinate. 

"Water?" He offered, holding a cup to my lips. I greedily drank it in one gulp and then begged for more. I was amazed at how much better I felt after four or five cups. I could think straight again.

"Is it bad?" I asked, referring to the most recent gash on my head.

"Not bleedin' anymore," he said. That didn't exactly answer my question, but I let it go.

"Is there any chance you can untie my hands?" I asked in a pitiful voice. "They're so raw and so stiff from being confined for so long."

Victor looked at me shyly, and then down at his hands. "I, uh, I dunno if Madera would like that. As it was, I had ta beg him to let me give ya some water. I thought you was gonna die."

"Thank you," I said kindly. "But why would you care if I lived or died?"

He smiled an embarrassed little smile. "I din't think ye should die cuz y'ain't done nothin' wrong."

I smiled a little in return. "Thank you," I said again. "What does Madera want with me anyway?" I asked.

"Oh, I can't tell ya. I mean, I dunno really," he said, stumbling over his words.

"It's okay," I assured him. "You don't have to tell me."

He grinned at me and then stood up to leave.

"Victor?" I asked quietly. "Do you think you could bring me some bread or something? I'm awfully hungry."

He smiled proudly and said, "I'll see what I can do." 

I sat there, my thirst satisfied for the time being, and again I remembered all the horrible things I'd said to Harry. I had told him he was a coward, a fool, selfish. But all of that was far from the truth I'd learned of Captain Harry Styles in the short time I'd known him. He was brave, strong, passionate. He was gentle and virtuous - well, in some  ways. I knew in all my heart that he was capable of love. I prayed that I would get a chance to tell him all the things I really believed about him.

Of course, Harry was a pirate, but something made me think that he fought his battles based on principle, not merely on greed for wealth and bloodlust. He had a greater purpose, one he wasn't willing to share with me for some reason, but I suspected that it had to do with his family. 

The door opened again and Victor crept in, putting a finger over his lips to hush me. He held out a loaf of bread and I almost cried at the sight of it. 

"Thank you!" I cried. 

As he held it out to me, he realized that I couldn't receive it in my hands because they were still bound. Without another thought, he pulled out a dagger and sawed through the fabric with ease. I pulled my hands out from behind me and shook them, urging them to come back to life. They ached and tingled while I tried to move them after all this time.