Chapter 53

As I arrived home with my siblings, I went up, changed into my pink tank top and black cycling shorts, and went onto my bed and laid down to start thinking of deep thoughts.

It got to me thinking that the McFlatts would come to the gathering a week after this week, and maybe this would be the perfect opportunity to think and to ponder deep things in life.

I thought about the time Kathy and I went into a rave party, and I almost got myself into a drunk guy asking for sex to me. I remember that I said no but the guy grabbed my wrist and Kathy started to punch the guy right on the face. Man that was epic.

There was another time that we were in the beach and we were dancing and swimming happily while our other friends got drunk around the bonfire.

Finally, I thought about the time that my mom let me skate around the rink with me for the first time. I remember tripping over and over until I got my balance and cool for me to experience it.

Those were the times that were simple, carefree, and happy before it got complicated.

The separation. The move on. Everything. It went by so fast.

A knock on my door  swept my thoughts away.

"Who is it?" I called over to the door as I come closer to it.

"It's me, Red. Chemistry homework, remember?" Red said in a muffled voice.

I opened the door to my room and let him in.

"Oh! I thought you're gonna be here at 8pm," I said as I looked at my alarm clock. It was just 7:15pm.

"The sooner we start, the better," he said cheerfully. "So, shall we start?"

"Sure," I said as I put my Chemistry notebook out and laid it out onto my bed.

"We can do this!" he said as he put his Chemistry notebook along with his textbook onto my bed and we got to start working.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Wow," Red gasped. "You must be really paying attention to this stuff."

"Maybe," I said. "But you know, I just understand the concepts mostly."

"Ahhhh. You must be really smart at this," he commented.

"Not that smart," I said. "Anyway, want I'll make dinner?"

"It's okay. I'll eat dinner later," Red answered.

"Oh okay," I said softly.

We continued our silence, being awkward to ourselves and remaining dead in our vibes. Until one of us had to break the silence.

"Let's play 20 questions, shall we?" Red offered.

"Sure, I guess," I replied.

"Favorite holiday?" Red started to ask.

"Christmas. Yours? I asked back.

"Halloween."

"Favorite animal?"

"Pandas. Favorite food?"

"Mashed potatoes. Favorite country?"

"France. Favorite cartoon character?"

"Darth Maul."

This went on until we ran out of questions when it wasn't even close to the 20th. I think we were on the 12th or the 15th.

"Okay okay, we ran out of questions, but so what? At least the silence was unbearable," Red remarked.

"Yeah it was," I admitted as I heard rain poring by.

"Hard rain, isn't it?" he asked as he offered me his hoodie.

"Yeah but I'm fine," I said as I shivered, trying to keep myself warm but it wasn't helping.

I ended up sitting at the side of my bed, facing the window and my feet in a cross sitting position. Suddenly, a warm hoodie was wrapped around me. Plus, it was a bit thrilling that an arm was around me. I looked to my right and Red was enjoying it more than I do.

"Yeah," Red began. "I love the rainy weather."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I tend to free myself from a lot of diverted thoughts. I get to be deep and my mind is running wild as a free bird," he said.

"Oh," was all I could say as I rested my head on his shoulder.

We stayed like this until someone had to call in for dinner. It's my brother Nathan.

"I should get down for dinner," I said.

"Yeah and I should get going too," he replied.

"See you, I guess?" I asked shyly.

"Yeah, see you," he said as he left my room. "By the way, I left you something in your living room."

"Thanks," I called out as he closed the my room door.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tonight's dinner was Baby Back Ribs that my dad cooked. Nathan and Zachi were racing to the table to get the first piece. It felt so ironic because all of us have to earn something in order for it to be obtained.

We all sat down at the dining table, feeling excited which slab to get. I only got what I finished. When we were already done, we put the dishes in the sink and let the water run a little for it to be washed tomorrow.

As I went in to my room, I grabbed my phone and got a text message. When I looked at it, it was from Red.

From: Red <3

Hey Princess ;) Check your front door.

As soon as I got out of my room, I headed for the front door. When I opened it, I found a basket that contained a teddy bear and a bunch of flowers.

How could that happen? I wondered as I picked up the basket. I also noticed that there's a little sticky note attached to it.

To: My princess,

Hope to see you somewhere tomorrow in school ;) You'll never know where, but I'll be at any place.

Huh, sneaky little prince, I thought as I closed my front door and headed for my room to come back. As soon as I opened my room door, I put the basket down and brought up the teddy bear when I saw another sticky note posted on my mirror dresser. I read it and it said:

See you tomorrow, Princess ;)

Oh boy, I hope I'll be a good detective to end this goose chase, I thought as I went to my closet and changed into my pajamas, hoping that I'll find out where he would be tomorrow.

A mystery is a mystery.