Chapter 40

Classes were fine as long as I kept smiling & laughing & having a good conversation with my friends, especially with Red. He was wearing a black Memphis May Fire hoodie, black skinny jeans & black Vans. His smile was bright today. I wonder what's on his head now. I'm not a mind reader. I'm just curious but I don't want to first out at the same time.

So we were having lunch with Gabby, Kathy, Red, & Matt. We were all eating burgers & shared a big plate of cheesy chili con carne fries. Gabby is wearing a black Blood On The Dancefloor shirt, blue jeans & a pair of white Addidas sneakers. Matt on the other hand is wearing his white Coldplay shirt, dark jeans, & his black Converse. To top it off, he had a koala hat on his head.

We were starting to have a good conversation. Then we started to play Truth or Dare, suggested by Kathy.

"Okay Kathy," I said. "Truth or Dare?"

Kathy tried to think hard enough for that question.

"Truth," she finally said.

"Okay," I said as I think of a question. Finally, I though of one.

"Tell us the time that you attempted to kill yourself," I finally asked Kathy.

Kathy thought of that question. After pondering that, she finally said, "I tried to kill myself when I had a problem with my mom & I wanted to cut myself but my older step sister tried to stop me."

I reflected on her answer, thinking of the same experience that happened to me. I tried to cut myself twice but my sister told me to stop by pushing me & it dropped. I knew the only escape is to die, but I thought of the people who loved & cared for me. Will they be crying for me? Yeah they would.

"Okay Red, your turn," Matt said. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," Red said in his cool sexy deep voice.

Kathy thought of a juicy question as she took a piece of french fries & ate it. I was munching on my burger & got some fries to my plate.

"Okay Red," Kathy said as she was chewing her piece & swallowed it. "What would you do if you like a girl?"

That question made me blush fiercely. My cheeks were hot red.

"Um," Red began, also blushing. "I would serenade her."

All of us nodded & went back to eating our burgers & fries, having a good conversation.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm glad that History class was second to the last hell period because I got to sit between Christina & Crystal. I asked them about the business & they said that it would open on September 15. That could mean in the middle of fall where a lot of people are going to demand a lot. So we're learning about the Second World War.

"Okay class," Ms. Elena began. "Group yourselves into 3-4 members & make a scrapbook about what happened in the Second World War. You may begin planning on what to do starting now."

Crystal, Christina, Red & I grouped ourselves & he began to be interested about the project because of the topic. Supposedly we planned our project to make it like a faded journal that was long forgotten & buried. We all agreed on his idea. Christina & I agreed to look for pictures while Crystal agreed to burn the sides of the bond paper.

"Oh & one more thing, it has to be in a chronological order," Ms. Elena's voice boomed. After that, we continue our project planning.

The bell rang, signalling for us to grab our bags & go to our last class. My last class would be the usual hell out of everything. So I head to Trigonometry class with a mental note: Brace yourself.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"OMG! You know, Gabby would take me to Riley's party after this week," Kathy said excitedly after I got out of my last class.

"Really?" I asked. "I wish Red could come with me at the party."

"Oh you could just ask him. You know what I mean," Kathy said as she playfully elbowed my shoulder while giving me a wink.

"Dude, please," I said.

"What? You guys look good together," Kathy pointed out.

"Yeah but I don't want to be the girl that will ask a guy," I said, giving her an obvious point.

"Dude, I'm not saying that you should go Lady Hawkins at him. What I mean is, you should casually ask if he's going or not, not asking him to go with you," Kathy emphasized.

"Oh, alright," I said, finally understood what she meant.

We had a good conversation on the to the parking lot.

When we got to the car, it got so awkward. The deadly silence screeches out throughout the time we got in to the fact that we're on our way home.

"So, how's you & Gabby?" I asked, finally breaking the silence that almost froze socialization

"We're good," Kathy answered while her eyes were on the road.

And there goes the deadly silence again.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Surprisingly, when I came home, I saw my dad & my siblings cleaning the house & Zachi with distributing the clothes & bedsheets. When I saw my dad sweeping the floor, I greeted him & kissed him on the cheek.

When I got to my room, there were clothes & bedsheets on my bed, neatly folded on top of the other. I put my clothes in one side of the closet & my bedsheets in the other side of the closet. I shut my closet door & laid down at my bed with a thought on my mind.

You know, I was thinking of my mom. Not that she's dead or anything but I just miss her. I miss her voice, the way she sings even though the song's annoying. If I could hear it just once, it'll make me feel better. Living in a broken family sucks. Because you wouldn't get to be with the other pair, call it a mother or father. If I have problems, I would just either be quiet or cry, simply wishing that she would be here even though I say it's nothing that she could be worried about. I'm going to tell mom that the McFlatts are going to be here & dad's changed. If only mom & dad had gotten back together. But what's there to hope? I just have to accept that some things that aren't made to be exactly the way you planned it to happen.